UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guys ever scince i took the cover off of my tank and installend the coralife light i have noticed that my water is evaporating .

this is new to me because my water never evaporated before..

my corallife light is not making the tank hotter because iave been waching the temp closley..

what can i do to stop or slow this issue ?:iamwithst

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Water evaporation is just part of nature, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The reason you noticed it more now that you took the cover off is because there is more surface area of the water being exposed to circulating air. Evaporation is also increased when you have a good amount of flow on the top of an open container (such as your tank or sump). The idea of the exposed surface area evaporating faster can be seen quite easily with a small experiment. Take a cup of water and put it in a glass and let it sit. Take a second cup of water and pour it into the bottom of a large foil tray. The water in the foil tray will have evaporated much quicker then the water in the cup. Your tank works the same. The more open areas of your tank there are, the faster the evaporation. Add surface adgitation to the mix, and evaporation is even faster.

Like Rookie said, get an ATO if you dont want to have to worry about it on a daily basis.

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
1. buy one of those float switch devices
2. a lift pump
3. connect the float switch to lift pump

total cost ~$25, works just like the $100+ ATO and no worry about pump getting broken..the lift pump runs with or without water

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Would the $100+ ATO, particularly the Tunze 3155, buy me a peace of mind? I'm in a condo, and rather foot the extra $100+ than pay for a new floor or worse, someone's ceiling.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Water evaporation is just part of nature, there is nothing you can do to stop it.

You could raise the humidity in your home to stop it. Just kidding :birthday:

Make sure what ever top-off you get, that the float switch is low voltage (not 110v!). I like my JBJ ATO. If I were to do it again, I would get the Tunze..

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guys ever scince i took the cover off of my tank and installend the coralife light i have noticed that my water is evaporating .

this is new to me because my water never evaporated before..

my corallife light is not making the tank hotter because iave been waching the temp closley..

what can i do to stop or slow this issue ?:iamwithst
Hi UNICORN ;-)
As explained you will have to top off the evaporated water, but remember to do it with RO water.

Here are some examples:

DIY
Melev Automatic Top Off

DIY Top Off system

If your not to enthusiast to DIY, here is the Tunze 3155 mentioned by Widdy

Do you remember this

UNICORN said:
and i dont have a rodi unit but iall be using ocean water from pet co insted

Pedro Nuno Ferreira said:
Put it along with the skimmer in your priority list before anything, namely corals, so you do not get corals before you have these two equipments. The evaporated water has to be replaced with adequate freshwater, hence the RO unit. Do not use tap water as it contains harmful elements.

Now you understand evaporation is and how to top it off... got it ;-)

Well you can do it by hand but use RO/DI water.
The frequency will be determined by several conditions and it can vary through out the year.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I take a gallon of water. Hold it above my tank and slowly invert it discharging the water into the tank therefore compensating for evaporation. This is my patented "POUR METHOD" please make sure you give credit where credit is due. Thank you for your time.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I take a gallon of water. Hold it above my tank and slowly invert it discharging the water into the tank therefore compensating for evaporation. This is my patented "POUR METHOD" please make sure you give credit where credit is due. Thank you for your time.

Brendan, you know I like you as a person, but saying this is your idea is just CRAZY! It's mine and its been patented, its the "Freshwater into Saltwater Dilution Pour From a Bottle Method" :)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Brendan, you know I like you as a person, but saying this is your idea is just CRAZY! It's mine and its been patented, its the "Freshwater into Saltwater Dilution Pour From a Bottle Method" :)

:mad: Krisen you just added a "twist to the wrist" maneuver trying to be all new and interesting and stuff. That's not cool. This is mine! I perfected this 21 and a half years ago before you were born!

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tep put the water in all by yourself ! the only thing that can happen with an auto top off system is less work each day say 2 min per day , and then oh my god the valve stuck and all is dead . is it really worth the saved time to find the floor flooded and all your stuff is dead ? read on this forum and i will bet you a million dollars that you can find a few people that lost thier stuff due to a sticky float or mis engineered set up ! it really aint worth it put the tops back on or add a gallon or whatever it takes of water a day . put a line on your sump and keep it there ,you can do this when you add your additives each day its quite simple to do ,and you wont have a terrible day when all goes wrong with a $25.00 part . just my opinion ,good luck

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
:mad: Krisen you just added a "twist to the wrist" maneuver trying to be all new and interesting and stuff. That's not cool. This is mine! I perfected this 21 and a half years ago before you were born!

picking up the bottle 21 years ago and turning it upside down to make sure the formula goes in your mouth is hardly yours, much less a "Brendan Perfected" method. Silly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: