DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
i have a 72 gallon tank..on the back of the tank i have a lot of green algae growing on the glass..a LFS told me to not clean that because it will turn purple later on..is this true? should i leave it alone or clean it off?

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
doesnt really matter what color the algea is, it will increase n get hairy. get rid of it but more importantly get to the source of problem by reducing bio load n reduce po4 level. correct this be4 it takes hold of the rocks.
i think your lfs is thinkin u have coraline algea. :biglaugh:
btw: i hope u aint using tap.

Last edited:

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
im getting a few spots on the front of the coralline algae..i only clean off what is in the middle and blocking my view..YES unfortunately i am using tap water but i dose it with a conditioner before i place it in my tank/sump..it is not hairy algae on the back but more of a flat green..i do have snails and an algae blenny but it is too much for the little guys to eat..anyone selling an RO unit?

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I don't understand why everybody on this forum blames TAP water as the number one cause of algal outbreaks. I've seen and have successfull reef tanks using nothing but tap water. Get a grip because simply doing RO won't solve the problem, it will merely dilute it. There are other sources that will add far greater amounts of polution to your water.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
i agree, tap is probabaly not the only problem. but i bet the algea likes tap better. :)

that is for sure...NOT. The algae absorbs whatever is in the water, no matter the source. Phosphates from the tap aren't differnt from those that resulted in feeding or more importantly overfeeding.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: