NIGHTCRAWLER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
hi,all. im new to mr and find it so awesome here. i have a 75 gallon with a 20 long refuguim. my 75 gal sprung a leak 5 inches down from the top, i emptied the water just past the leak too fix with silicone, and now have too wait for it too cure. i have about 4 inches of live rock sticking out know with a pump, pumping water over it too keep wet, also 1 powerhead going for water movement. will all my rock,fish,inverts,and corals be ok till silicone drys, and fill back up?
i guess i'll be doing a 50% water change now

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Should be fine as long as you keep the rock wet, but even if the tops dry you shouldn't expect a huge drop off in life as long as there is plenty of wet rock down below the water line. Besides the existing bacteria will quickly seed the top of the rock in the chance that the rock dries out if any.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Little leaks turn into big leaks quickly and at unexpected times. It is suggested that if you do in fact spring a leak you should train the tank entirely, remove the pane of glass and scrape off all of the old sealant then reseal with a good bead and let set as per the sealants instructions than you should fill with water. Just plugging the hole could be just putting a band aid on a bigger problem.

NIGHTCRAWLER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
the tank was resealed before i had got it from a friend, but i guess they didn't do a good job, i just looked over all the ends too see if there would be any more problems with any leaking anywhere else,and all seems good. will have too get my 225 up and running quick before this happens again.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just from past experience I had my tank resealed and it just let go last month(from the bottom) Don`t mess around like chief said you are just putting a bandaid on it. I am sure they did not take the whole tank apart to reseal which is the right way to do it. They just scraped the inside silicon and redid it without taking the actual glass apart....

NIGHTCRAWLER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
like you's said it was like putting a bandaid on it. the back seperated from the side, was able too save everything in my refugium,and live rocks in buckets. started my 225 gal build, which i will post in tank forum.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: