Attachments

• P1020821.jpg
    P1020821.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 183

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Do you live in a closet? An RO/DI is not that big. You can get the sink hook up one, and when done making water you can just stick it in the cabinet under the sink, or in a closet, or in the shower. They don't weigh that much.
So you got rid of the cyano, good for you. How long before it's back? Will you continue to do bi-weekly water changes, and rinsing the sand out for the rest of this tanks existence? Sounds terribly counter productive using water with a 2.01 ppm of phosphates, while trying to reduce .25 in the tank with gfo, or what ever other phos removing media you choose.

Get yourself a darn ro/di, or at least a di!!!!

Not wasting any more time on this one.;)

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0

rickb

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
+1 , Thats what I used to use on my old tank a long time ago in my old apt, It works.

I dont have a RO/DI unit but use this product instead http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium...als_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP4111-FIRODI-1-vi.html

It doesnt give me water as clean as RO/DI but it works for me, keeps it on the cheap side and I dont waste water.

I used to use tap at the beging and changing to this really helped and I can also see the diference when I test tap water vs filter water.

My two cents

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey.... I posted to this thread a long while ago.....and Im glad to hear that u r getting ur tank issues under control......
started my 30 gallon micro-reef at the beginning of march.....and i just received my BRS RO/DI 5 stage.....i too began with tap water and i can tell u that i didnt have too many problems using it....except having to use the stress coat conditioner constantly in order to reduce the chloramines and ammonia in the tap water....which affects my skimmer by creating major microbubbles.....
This weekend i added my first batch of RO/DI and the water already looks better by an exponential value than what it did before the switch.....over the next few weeks I will be slowly but surely replacing all all of the tap water in the tank with RO/DI and i expect to see even greater improvements....
While tap water is easy to get and work with and many hobbyist have used it successfully for FOWLR tanks and even some reef applications....using purified water is not a matter of apt size or even a superintendent's permission.....you may not be allowed to mess with the pipes in ur apt...but no one can stop u from trying to purify ur water.....RO/DI units do take up some space but that can be accommodated by putting the unit under the sink or in a (undersink) cabinet or even hung from the wall of ur kitchen or bathroom.....(a little spackle will take care of the hole when u move out)....or u can even store it out of the way under ur tank stand if there is room......
My only caveat for using ur own RO/DI at home would be if u had to pay for water usage.....as having the unit on all day will waste (a lot) of water...however renters do not usually pay individually for water usage.....
But I've gotta say telling us u cant do it cuz of ur apt.'s size is disingenuous....saying u cant do cuz of ur wallets size is something else......lol

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Do you live in a closet? An RO/DI is not that big. You can get the sink hook up one, and when done making water you can just stick it in the cabinet under the sink, or in a closet, or in the shower. They don't weigh that much.
So you got rid of the cyano, good for you. How long before it's back? Will you continue to do bi-weekly water changes, and rinsing the sand out for the rest of this tanks existence? Sounds terribly counter productive using water with a 2.01 ppm of phosphates, while trying to reduce .25 in the tank with gfo, or what ever other phos removing media you choose.

Get yourself a darn ro/di, or at least a di!!!!

Not wasting any more time on this one.;)

Hay Awi. I was just going to ask the same thing if he lived in a closet. LOL:biggrin:

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
:) I already have an RO, I used to have a 50 gallon when I live in a house. I used to have it connected with the backyard hose.

Someone wants to come home and install it under my sink :), my plumbing skills are zero :) Ill give the plummer free neon green palau :)

Last edited:

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I cant have that RO in the only sink I got. Under it, I wont mind, but then I need to drill to get the get the outflow, and find out how to do the input, and then figure out how to fix it when I move out of the rented apt. Maybe I need to call a plummer, or avoid RO like I have done for the past 2 years after deciding to move into an apt in the city. Thanks for the suggestion though.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You screw it on when you're using it, or run the tube back out of the way and simply pull the stopper when you want RO water. A lot of people live in small apartments and manage to screw and unscrew a faucet adaptor. They also make quick release ones.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I cant have that RO in the only sink I got. Under it, I wont mind, but then I need to drill to get the get the outflow, and find out how to do the input, and then figure out how to fix it when I move out of the rented apt. Maybe I need to call a plummer, or avoid RO like I have done for the past 2 years after deciding to move into an apt in the city. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Its called a Faucet adapter and when your done you put the ro away. Whats so hard about that.

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I thiink RO is not for me, got the RO membranes, got the faucet adapter and so happens that my faucet and the faucet adapter both have female connections!!!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
So I thiink RO is not for me, got the RO membranes, got the faucet adapter and so happens that my faucet and the faucet adapter both have female connections!!!

You can more then likely remove the piece that is on your faucet can be removed, or you can get a male adaptor at any hardware store.

Also if you have a shut off valve on the line coming in under your sink you can get one of these.;) It is very easy to connect, just make sure you shut off the water, open the faucet so it drains all the water out before you disconnect the line.:)

Attachments

• reef 045.JPG
    reef 045.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 164
  • reef 047.JPG
    reef 047.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 167
  • reef 053.JPG
    reef 053.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 162

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: