Eleven11

11:11
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I've started the conversion of a freshwater tank (40 gal) into saltwater last night. The tank got a nice cleaning, SW, LR and a koralia #1 to move things around (Getting 1 more Koralia, either a #2 or #3 for the other side). I forgot to buy sand(!!) so I'll be putting that in today/tomorrow.

I'm planning on buy the rest of my supplies online but just wanted to ask you guys few questions. I'm looking considering 2 different options. I'd prefer to go with a refugium but since space is limited, the hangon will have to suffice. I've also considered a canister filter. I've heard negative things about these those so I wanted your opinions. Which would you recommend? I've attached a link to both that I'm considering so you can choose between the two.

Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filters

AquaFuge External Hang-on Refugium

I'm also planning on getting this Prizm protein skimmer. Good choice?

Prizm Protein Skimmer

Let me know what you guys think of these products! Thanks!

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Don't get the canister filter, unless you clean extremely frequently it'll become a nitrate factory. You should get a better protein skimmer too. Like an Octopus or AquaC remora.

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Got it. I'm basically trying to keep the cost down. The AquaC and Octopus skimmers are a little out of my price range. I am now considering this system because it's an all in one kinda deal. Refugium w/ skimmer. What'd you think?

Refugium w/ Skimmer

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
do yourself a favor dont rush wait till you have enough money to buy the better equipment

Trust me almost everyone here has had to buy things twice. Dont fall into that group lol

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What are your thoughts on the hangon refugium with skimmer? A friend of mine (and a member of the board) has used this type of filter for close to 6 months with success. Any thoughts on the hangon refugium?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: