AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello - i started reefing about 8 months ago and just stumbled upon this site - great site and local too!!

Anyway - I have a 90 gal tank with a 30 gal sump- live rock, some coral some fish the calcium measures about 250 and understand that it should be around 350-450. I have tried additives with no effect, i am currently using Kalkwasser and got it up to 300 but it is a struggle.

Should i be adding kalk to my water change water as well?

I am currently dripping it in as make up water but my tank and skimmer does not pull out or evaporate as much as i need to drip in to pump it up to the coorect levels.

Any ideas??

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Kalk is a two part additive (calcium and alkalinity), it is a good product to maintain levels but is not so good at raising your calcium levels. You want to find a calcium only additive to raise your levels (such as turbo calcium). While your at it check you alkalinity levels as I would guess they are out of whack too. Alk can be raised with baking soda (not baking powder). Once your levels are in place, you can potentially use kalk to keep them in place.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
you would best be advised to test Mg and Alk along with your Ca as they are all related. you will then be in a better osition to determine which additives to use.

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Wow - thanks for the great responses!! By your responses, it has confirmed i am a novice. I currently do not have a mag or Alk test kit, i have the red sea ref labs kit only.

Can anyone recommend another kit that would contain the tests i need for a reef?
How muh B soda do i need to add and how?
As far as maintenance, I am doing 10% water changes 2x/ month with reef crystal salt and in the interim adding Iodine and trace elements to the tank; are there any other maintenance recommendations?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: