mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hello all,

Glad to join and be part of this web site, and reefing in general- it is great!

Just wanted to show you my tank and ask few questions!

First here are the specs.

Its a 46G bowfront
t5 lightening
Remora Pro with mag 3
Koralia 4 and Korali 3 powerheads.
About 50Lbs of Live Rock

2 clowns (can identify?)
Lawnmower Blenny
2 Peppermint Shrimps
variety of snails, grabs

Its been set up and running since end of June - so about 5 months :tongue1:

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

DSC02784.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

Now to my questions :lol:

1.I have very little or almost no purple coraline at all. None on walls and very little on rocks. How come?
I have been dosing 2 way Bionic, Cals and Alk daily.

2. What other fish should i add. Would small kole tang be ok?

I would appreciate any suggestions! rocks work, powerhead positioning and etc..

thanks - Konstantine :givebeer:

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
well calcium is about 400, but i havent tested for Alk just yet.
I dont over dose and use as specified on the bottle.
Im just amazed that i have seen so many tank builds, and after literally 4 months they all have purple coralline everywhere!
i guess it depends on what live rock you use from the beginning?

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, you won't be begging for corraline when your scraping it off the glass every week.

btw, those clowns are pretty cool looking, there occelaris misbars.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Wow nice clowns. How much did you get them for. As stated in the above post they are Misbars... well looks like they barely have any lol.

If I were you IMO I would add some more rock, or like reaquascape it kinda looks empty =X. That or move the big rock on the left over to the right to make it look more balanced and give you access to clean on the left side.

Depends what fish you like. I doubt a tang would do well there long term, but you can get a really small one and keep trading it in when it gets big. I would add a bicolor blenny because they are so awesome to watch. If your top is closed Firefish are really cool. A Royal Gramma is nice as well. These are really hardy fish might I add and will readily eat whatever you give them.

If you have enough sand Jawfish are awesome. They are such menaces because they reaquascape your sand every night.

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I received the clowns from Jim at house of fish. They were $100 for pair + plus bubble tip anemone(which i no longer have as it got sucked into powerhead :irked:)

Appreciate re-aquascape idea - i will try to move things around. that big rock on the right is huge, maybe i should try to cut it in half or something.

I now consider a sixline for this tank. Are they fun fish to watch?
I was also thinking about Firefish - are they known jumpers? :lol:

Another question - i got a Lawnmower Blenny:bablefish and he hasnt touch any food in three days now(not that i can see at least). Hes picking green algae off my rocks and even back walls all the time, however I have tried misys shrimp, krill and rod's mix and no luck so far. Any idea's?

thanks for your help!

Wow nice clowns. How much did you get them for. As stated in the above post they are Misbars... well looks like they barely have any lol.

If I were you IMO I would add some more rock, or like reaquascape it kinda looks empty =X. That or move the big rock on the left over to the right to make it look more balanced and give you access to clean on the left side.

Depends what fish you like. I doubt a tang would do well there long term, but you can get a really small one and keep trading it in when it gets big. I would add a bicolor blenny because they are so awesome to watch. If your top is closed Firefish are really cool. A Royal Gramma is nice as well. These are really hardy fish might I add and will readily eat whatever you give them.

If you have enough sand Jawfish are awesome. They are such menaces because they reaquascape your sand every night.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
The new Aquascape looks good. What I would do is move that flat rock on the left in the picture and make a kind of bridge.

Lawnmower blennies aka Algae Blenny are cool try some veggie flakes or something. These fish are usually very hardy so no need to worry too much.

-A Sixline wrasse is great. If I were you I would introduce him LAST into the tank. This fish doesn't do well when new fish are introduced because I can almost guarantee you it will attack it.

-Firefish do jump high... witnessed it first hand getting him out of my biocube chambers back to the main display... the guy hopped up like 4 inches into the air. I see that you are running open top. The firefish will jump if he doesn't feel secure... you seem to have enough rock for that. If anything get some like garage door rubber and edge up the top of the tank.

Last edited:

wschang812

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
nice tank, i have a 46 bowfront too. i feel you can put a small tang since it will take awhile to grow to full sizeand if it gets too big, just trade it. i have firefish in my tank and it just hides under the rocks. i have a 6 line wrasse too. they are pretty aggressive. i put in some peppermint shrimp and he attacked them. dont know where they are anymore. both are pretty hardy fish and will eat anything

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks!
I had a sixline but lost him to unknown reason.
im trying to get a small yellow tang :splitspin

I also need to post updated pic, since its so different now!

nice tank, i have a 46 bowfront too. i feel you can put a small tang since it will take awhile to grow to full sizeand if it gets too big, just trade it. i have firefish in my tank and it just hides under the rocks. i have a 6 line wrasse too. they are pretty aggressive. i put in some peppermint shrimp and he attacked them. dont know where they are anymore. both are pretty hardy fish and will eat anything

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: