RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am wondering if I can cycle my tank with uncured rock.

The reason I am asking is because I am being offered a deal on 125lbs of Fiji/Tonga rock mix of Base and Shelf rock for $1 per pound. It is all uncured but stored in fresh water. Is this a good deal?

This is all going to go into my Tech 120 and sump.

Would it be okay to cycle with this rock and LS 2-3" in depth or should I cure it first then add to display for the cycle?

If I am cycling with uncured with the cycle take much longer?

If I need to cure the rock how long does this process usually take?
What salinity lvl should the the water be and temp to complete this process?

Sorry for all the newb questions I have never done this before.

Thanks in advance.....

RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It will take longer but beneficial in the end.I should of done that with this tank but lazy me didn't wait.Keep an eye out for the ammonia before proceeding.

Sorry to ask, but what makes it more beneficial to cycle with uncured rock vs. cured?

and is $1 per pound a good deal for uncured rock?

Thanks

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
the smartest money saving way to start a reef tank would be going the route of buying uncured dried or dead rock. Yes you can cure the rock in your tank but dont be in a hurry to add anything living for a good 2 months. Do weekly water changes and monitor the ammonia after a month or so.

The only difference between dried and dead rock as opposed to living rock is the cycle time as well as the beneficial bacteria that live rock provides.

When your tank is ready and cycled you can add a piece of live established rock to your tank and it will be a seed of bacteria for your other "dead rock"

also make sure there was no copper or medication that was used in the aquarium that housed the rocks

RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Luckily there was no medication ever used on the tank or copper. The tank was broken down because of a lack of time able to commit to it due to a growing family.

Thanks everyone....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: