hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Float valve might not be the correct term but my tank is not RR so I am creating a pvc overflow device that I have done in the past that didn't lose siphon for a few days.. (it was a mechanical engineer class in college)

So I am looking to create an overflow proof tank. My idea is to place the water pump at around mid-level in the sump so if I lose siphon it won't pump back all the water in the sump. Now if i lose siphon the pump will probably die if it happens while I'm at work due to sucking in air. So I'm looking for a float valve that will turn off the pump if the water level gets too low in the sump.

Anyone hear of such a thing or even try it?

Pareef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your saying is possible if you went to lowes or home depot and looked at the submersable sump pumps most work off a float switch to turn the pump on and off finding a scaled down version for your sump should be possible

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Float valve might not be the correct term but my tank is not RR so I am creating a pvc overflow device that I have done in the past that didn't lose siphon for a few days.. (it was a mechanical engineer class in college)

So I am looking to create an overflow proof tank. My idea is to place the water pump at around mid-level in the sump so if I lose siphon it won't pump back all the water in the sump. Now if i lose siphon the pump will probably die if it happens while I'm at work due to sucking in air. So I'm looking for a float valve that will turn off the pump if the water level gets too low in the sump.

Anyone hear of such a thing or even try it?

Flost switch(not valve-valve is controlling liquid while switch for closing or opening a circuit) with a power relay will get your job done.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: