scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I"m newbie going from sumpless to sump. Started on a rubbermaid sump for now. No baffles with skimmer and return pump. Problem is there is gurgling noise and return line is spurting sometimes.

Here is problem:
Lifereef overflow with Air Silencer rated up to 700 gph
Drain line is 1 inch vinyl plastic tubing to rubbermaid sump, tubing outlet under water in sump.
Return line is Ocean runner 2500 with no float ball-value for return line with 3/4 inch vinyl plastic tubing to a directional U-tube with nozzle.

-With Air Silencer, still noisy and water level on outside overflow box goes up and down.
- Return line is spurting and splashing with air.

Do I have to use float ball-value to lower flow rate?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
add a ball valve to the drainline...that will help the wwater from rushing down at max speed...you can probrably fiddle with the overflow to quiet down the gargling noise too...you will want a ATO for the sump too because the skimmer will not skim well with fluctuating water levels....unless you threw in a hang on skimmer then that might help a bit...you should contact custom king for a acrylic sump or use a glass tank and build a sump with baffles and a ATO...it will make life easier

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Thanks, I solve the noise problem temporary for now. switch to maxi-jet 600 powerhead ( since I have one on hand to test ) with smaller return vinyl tubing to a smaller return U-tude (Old Ehiem return outlet) and this did it, now zero noise, but my return flow is down to 160 gph, I will try other water flows,it was my flow rate too high or just leave it. I have two koralia powerhead in main tank for flow anyway. Just need to drain and return to a sump. The ehiem u-tube is great high enough on tank rim, so on power shutdown, drainage back to sump is null.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You can make a Durso pipe on the end of your drain in your sump.

I personally would not run a ball valve on the drain unless you have a backup drain (in case the main drain clogs) or a float valve on the display tank to automatically shut off the return pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: