Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Mine is still on back order (since October) :(
I read many good things about it and I feel it's the best in it's price range from my research.

Agree, its a versatile skimmer for its price and comes with a small footprint.

My other choice is the ASM G series, but I've read these are becoming an "outdated" unit. Hmm, but then this is all opinion. I'm trying to see which one is easier to use and requires the least fiddling around with to get it to work properly.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have it and it kicks A#%! The exact same skimmer as the BM 160 for half the price and in fact has an air silencer which the BM 160 doesnt have. The only two issues are the usual ones with the sicce pumps that they use:
1) Start up issues: when the skimmer is unplugged I have to blow in the airline to restart it,but this is only since I did the mesh mod, which by the way makes its a 100X better.

2) A little noisy: once again this only occured after doing the mesh mod. And I have informed that my mod job could be adjusted to negate these two issues.

Ive had a lot of different skimmers and this IMO was the best and Ive had euroreef, Asm, aqua c remora, coralife, bubble master, berlin, red sea prism.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
jL whats the Mod to fix these two issues

The mod (mesh modding the needle wheel) is what causes the two issues, however in another threadt about this one member, was stating that I probably did not do the mod 100% correct because he had neither of these issues and suggested tightening up mesh and some suggestions about the magnet. Ill try and find it. Currently Its taking so much out that im not concerned about the two and to start up takes one quick blow on airline and it always starts right up

BaNDiTo_RoX

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you trim the mesh close to the disc then you shouldn't have startup problems. If you go away on vacation or something and not home and that problem happens you wont be there to blow out the airline. But that can also be solve by using the PW if your not home for a few days. There's a extremely long thread on these skimmer on RC. By the way I own both the MSX-250 and the MSX-160.

BaNDiTo_RoX

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MSX and Octopus are the same. So not sure what you want to see.

DSC02775.jpg

CNC 125R on the left and the SWC/MSX-160 on the right.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
my octopus 150 is mesh modded (i bought it used that way) and keith p saw it startup. only takes 10-15 seconds with the mod.

it's not horribly noisy, skims very well. i'm happy with it. i sold my deltec HOB and decided to stick with the octo.

i'm not sure what how the 160 is different than the 150 though.

dan

autoponicz