S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I would use the canopy as a fixture. Attach your lighting to the hood it self. Then attach a piece of acrylic to the bottom for protection but make it removeable for maintenance. I would also install 2 or 3 fans on the end to cool the lights and make vent holes as well.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would use the canopy as a fixture. Attach your lighting to the hood it self. Then attach a piece of acrylic to the bottom for protection but make it removeable for maintenance. I would also install 2 or 3 fans on the end to cool the lights and make vent holes as well.

Yeah we're already planning on attaching lights to the top of the hood and there already are 2 holes in the tank that we could use for fans, though they are really small.
The purpose of raising the lights a bit is because the water level gets right up to where the lights would be. And it would allow us a little more room to install nice sized fans.

How safe is it to put the acrylic right under the fans basically almost touching?

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
right under the fans basically almost touching?

Do you mean lights ? If so on my old T5 fixture there was about a 1/2''-1'' clearence.

If you did mean fan, IDK I think it would be fine.

Another option is to mount the fans on the top and blow cool air over the lamps.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I am sure a good wood worker can bend another piece of wood that can be added to make the hood taller.

Or you can use wiggle board and then bondo over the crevices in the wiggle board. Sand it. Paint it to match. Bingo!

Last edited:

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am sure a good wood worker can bend another piece of wood that can be added to make the hood taller.

Or you can use wiggle board and then bondo over the crevices in the wiggle board. Sand it. Paint it to match. Bingo!

I'll look into that, time to go back to home depot. I do have something that is pretty flexible, I think its laminated wood or the fake wood stuff that is used with siding for decorations. Either way, I'll go back and see what's available.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I second the the above. Try and get thin piece of wood. I for get the name but its about 2/16" thick. Add supports to the hood then nail the wood on one end, bend it to the curve.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: