aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hey Guys,

I am running a EuroReef ES5-2 w sedra 3500 pump. I just noticed that it's not operating the way it should...

My sump is basically set up like this. First chamber is the skimmer and a maxijet1200 for my UV Sterilizer and I have Live rock in there. Second Chamber is basically just sand... no chaeto because I don't have a fuge light yet. Third is the return pump and Chemipure elite.

Is there anything I have to do in particular... with the skimmer itself?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Okay let me rephrase the question. How do you set up the EuroReef Skimmer because I just cleaned it and it had very little sludge water in the cup. I've been looking at other threads and theirs works really well.

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
My opinion is this Ted:

1. Get rid of the live rock in the sump. It does nothing but track detritus and turn into a nitrate factory. Having live rock in the sump does not help reduce nitrates.

2. Clean your Sedra 3500 with Water/Vinegar mix for 24 hours so that there isn't any calcium deposit. If you're not dosing Cal, then this really shouldn't be that big of an issue.

3. Make sure the airline is free of salt creep. To clean, microwave RO/DI water once a week, and let the airline suck in the water. This should clear any salt residue that gets stuck in there.

4. I have an RS135, and I notice that if there's a lot of microbubbles going into the pump of the skimmer, it affects skimmer performance. Therefore, having the skimmer in the first chamber works against the skimmer because it creates a lot of turbulence. You can fix this by having a filter sock. The filter sock eliminates all the splashing. But then again, if you have a filter sock, that means you have to clean it often to avoid becoming a nitrate factory.

5. You need an auto top off. Fluctuations in the sump level affects the skimmer performance as it needs a constant water level. For the EuroReefs, works best at 6-8" of water.

Hope this helps. I will pm you about the seaclown :)

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
1. Get rid of the live rock in the sump. It does nothing but track detritus and turn into a nitrate factory. Having live rock in the sump does not help reduce nitrates.

Now I may be mistaken, as I am on many an occasion, but I thought that live rock acts as your main filtration in the aquarium, what with the biological bacteria colonies and such, and that the more live rock you had, the better off you were. So if thats true, why would putting it in the sump be a nitrate factory but in the actual tank would be good? How is one more of a detritus trap then the other?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Fernando, you were spot on. I basically removed the extension and topped off to nearly the end of my sump and the skimmer worked immediately. I think that was my issue... the water level.

Can't get an auto top off. do you know where I can get a cheap one?

Also the Seaclone let me know when you want to pick it up. I am leaving for Bahamas on Jan 6 and would prefer it gone by then. How is your DVD player? Do you need me to look at it?

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Mike - This is a good article to read :)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-04/newbie/index.php

Now I may be mistaken, as I am on many an occasion, but I thought that live rock acts as your main filtration in the aquarium, what with the biological bacteria colonies and such, and that the more live rock you had, the better off you were. So if thats true, why would putting it in the sump be a nitrate factory but in the actual tank would be good? How is one more of a detritus trap then the other?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: