junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
I have this growing in one of my rocks.. it is more yellowish than brownish, i noticed it a couple of days ago.. it has small bubbles in the area that is affected... can someone tell me what it is? i took out that rock and relegated it to the sump.. inputs are appreciated...for some reason it is just in that rock (3-4 lbs)... out of at least 200++ lbs of live rock in my system....

pc280153a.jpg

pc280152a.jpg

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I can't tell from the pictures it could be dinoflagates :(

Diatoms appear more like a dusting. Dinos, on the other hand, are more slimy in appearance and typically have lots of bubbles.

It could be excess organcs leaching out from that rock, if it's a dino growth. If you have the means, rinse off the growth in a seperate container, then leave that rock in a bucket w/ some circulation & a small bag of fresh activated carbon. It's nasty stuff that you don't want risking back into your display tank.

junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
You know,I have that same crap myself.Driving me nuts.I constantly blow it off with my seasquirter.Damn rock.

Well i took that rock out.. good thing it didnt have any corals attached to it and did what Ed said.. i believe it started when i switched my lights... i have to change the bulbs New year's day and i will see what happens....

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Some other notes in regards to dinoflagates:

-Grows super quick. When manually removing it (syphoning, fanning off, etc.) it grows back within hours.
-Most herbivores won't touch it. Many dinos are toxic when consumed.
-It could appear as part of the post start-up cycle, as could diatoms and cyanobacteria.
-Slightly less resilient (easier to rid) then cyanobacteria.

If it's isolated to one rock, quarantine it with carbon in a seperate container.

Generally speaking, if it's a widespread problem, work on a solution to lower excessive organics and silicates. Cease any trace element dosing and a weekly 1-2 day(s) lights out helps. When growth is noticably subsiding, syphon out the remaining slime. This stuff may take up to a month or more to disappear in some cases.

Supplimental "bacteria tuning" can also help immensely in many cases. Prodibio, ZeoVit ZeoBac and extremely careful carbon dosing are some ways to handle this, if you have the means.

Good luck Alex, let us know how things work out!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: