jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am starting a new 55 gallon and have a few questions. I have 40lbs of live sand and wondering if that will be enough? I am planning to get 50-75lbs of live rock and wondering if that is enough? Should I put live sand first or live rock first, or should I put eggcrate on bottom then live sand and live rock on top? I am really confused as which method is best. I am also contemplating if I should do a Deep Sand Bed because from my research it has to be 4" or more and that would take away alot of space on a 55 gallon and looks kind of weird. I am also confused about the whole RO/DI water thing, should I get a 4 stage or 5 stage or should I just use tap water because I read that NYC-Lower East Side water is pretty good. Please help a new reefer get his feet wet, thanks

Kind regards
Jason

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
40 pounds of sand will give you a sandbed that is about 1 1/2" deep. Some folks put eggcrate on the very bottom of the tank, others use starboard and some use nothing. IMO I'd put nothing down there as eventually detritus will get stuck under the starboard and you'll never be able to get it out, and you'd have a similar issue with the eggcrate.

The base rocks should go to the very bottom of the tank and provide the foundation for your rockwork. Many fish will dig to the bottom of the tank and your rocks will become very unstable if you don't do it this way.
Then add your sandbed.

IMO a ro/di is a necessity in a reef tank and either a 4 or 5 stage is fine. Anywhere the water has a TDS reading of over zero is not good and eventually you will be fighting an algae issue on an ongoing basis. 'Pretty good' is ok, but it is not zero! No point in setting yourself up for that kind of grief :( Money well spent now will ultimately reward you down the line :)

Just a heads up if you haven't already purchased the tank...a 55 g is difficult to aquascape due to the narrow width of the tank. You would have a much easier time with a 75g or 90g tank.

Do you plan to have a sump on your system and what kind of lights do you have (or are planning to purchase?)

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I already have a 55 gallon tank which was fresh water. I am aware of the aquascaping challenge and I am not sure how to proceed because I dont want to put all the rocks on the back wall. I am thinking of adding a 20 gallon or a 29 gallon tank as my sump later on. I already purchased a Aquactinics TX5 fixture from a fellow Manhttan reef member. Any other advice and tips would be great, thanks.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Just take your time and pick out pieces that you know that will fit.Envision it in your head first how you want to go about your rock.I like to put it dead center and work from there.I have a nice path for the fish to swim around in.Also caves and crevices that they like to swim through as well.

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im not sure how I want it to look like because I have looked a several 55 gallon tanks for reference and most are like a wall of rock. I would like to put either have too piles of rock with a arch in the middle or have one high pile of rock and have it slopping downward, all while have the least amount of rock on the back wall as possible.

I keep hearing the words base rock, what is the difference between that and live rock? Do I supposed to use specific base rock on the bottom as support or is live rock the same if they are big pieces?

Kind regards
Jason

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It's your tank so don't worry how others have their rock. Set it up the way you would like to see it. The same goes for fish, corals etc. Look around see what you like. Read up on what it takes to keep it and then decide. You can do that while the tank is cycling. Go slow and read a lot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: