Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers: I went on vacation and the thermostat in the house was set mistakenly to AC, so it was at 44 when the sitter came in a day later. Temp in tank was 50 degrees. Inhabitants seem fine. Situation corrected about 24 hours later.
Is there lasting damage to the clams, softies, brain coral, LFS?

Any ideas?

mario

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still a coral newb and I know very little about clams but the stress on the fish can lead to disease.That stress can't be good for anything in the tank actually.

edit: oh, I would start feeding your fish garlic soaked food as a precaution and try to keep your water as stable as you can now.

Last edited:

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your running a uv light in case one develops ich..

Thanks man..I have three very small fish-clownfish-tank raised-5.5 years old, one royal gramma and one blue damsel. It seems things are ok for now., The clams are opened, the softies are fine.

Its a good thing to know what an occassional low temperature can do to a tank....;)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Even though the lower temp stresses stuff out, you should be more worried about how quick you raised that temp back to the 70's. Its a quick 20 degree temp change that usually kills or stresses stuff out more than the 50 temp you had. And certain things don't do as well as others in lower temp waters.

You have a heater in the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: