spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
bought 90 pounds of new sugar sized sand, package stated rinsing was not neccesary. put it a tank without livestock and it is a milky mess a week later. should i scoop out and wash in bucket, strainer, keep filtering the water which i have done for a week? suggestions

spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
tank is empty

it is a new 75 im setting up. i have live rock in another tank waiting to be placed in. i assumed it would be bad for the dust to coat the rock as this would keep it in the tank, and get stuck in gills and irritate corals later on. would the dust clog the bacteria and pores in rock? thanks in advance steve

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
it is a new 75 im setting up. i have live rock in another tank waiting to be placed in. i assumed it would be bad for the dust to coat the rock as this would keep it in the tank, and get stuck in gills and irritate corals later on. would the dust clog the bacteria and pores in rock? thanks in advance steve
Is it live sand or not.
If not live then maybe it would be better to start over and first rinse the sand. If it is live then use a more dense filter media to clean the water. It shouldn't take a week to get clean unless you have a lot of sand blowing around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: