regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was wondering if I cover my fluidized bed making the inside of the unit pitch black will that turn the unit into somewhat of a nitrate remover since anarobic bacteria tends to grow in the dark?

I don't think so. The statement "anaerobic bacteria tends to grow in the dark" is not correct. They grow in oxygen lacking environment. The fluidized filter can be one of the causes of your nitrate problem.

I'm experimenting on making my own denitratying filter so here's what I havein mind....since fluidized beds typically host aerobic bacteria I'll run water through that first....then the water from that goes into a double chemical reactor from pentair aquatics which is completely dark on the inside. I'll either fill that up with bioballs or ceramic biological media....as the water passes through the fluidized it gets deoxygenized by the aerobic bacteria and then it goes through the chemical chamber which is also copmletely dark and there anarobic bacteria should grow due to the lack of oxygen...feedback on this?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Try the 100ft of air line hose, Alfani has a post here on how he did it.. Your idea doesn't leave enough room from the chambersto the next to become anerobic... Darkness doesn't play a part in growing anerobic bacteria either.. Even the airline hos ething might not be good for you because of your time schedule... Just do 50% than 75% water change within 2 days and that should bring them down but you must have an adequate amount of rock... No bio balls right?? If so get those out of here..

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
no I know darkness doesnt have anything to do with it now, it's the lack of oxygen hence why the fluidized bed would come first...the AEROBIC bacteria in there would kill off the oxygen that's in the water and then as it goes through the chemical chamber thats where i'd expect there to be ANEROBIC bacteria

I think it'll take more than just the fluidized reactor to kill off all the oxygen in the potential setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: