AlexWasserman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm moving house.

This will be the third time I've moved a 200G reef tank, and I'm not looking forward to it. Having had a bit of a crash over the summer when our AC died (ouch), it isn't as pretty as it used to be.

So, here is my plan...

1) Get rid over everything except rocks and sand.

2) Stuff them into tubs/tank/something

3) Leave it 'cycling' much as when I first got the rock and sand... It was $2000 from tampa bay saltwater... very full of life, and my sand is churning. I would really like to keep it, but without the hassle of a full reef... can I keep it idling in the dark for a while (or dim lighting), still heated, skimmed, etc, just not in a full tank setup... ie no kalk, calcium, O3, and all that stuff.

Setting up my more recent tank (24G nano with seahorses) I left the live sand and a little rock, with some chaeto in it for several months before putting anything else in it. I was amazed at the life it generated. I'm hoping for a similar effect here. I'm patient enough to happily leave it months just gently breeding little creepy-crawlies.

What I want is to be able to take the time to thoroughly prepare the tank, rebuilt to my exacting specifications, all equipment hidden neatly etc, rather than the usual hassle of trying to set it all up at mid-night after a day moving furniture.

So, any comments? Forget 2c, I want your whole dollar.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Realistically you should be fine keeping the LR in a tubs with heat and flow. It will not need much light, unless you were planning on keeping any algae. Remember to also change out the water, just like you would with your tank so that the water does not get too stagnant. Even with a powerhead, expect some life to die and create some smell to the water.

Hope it helps.

My .02 now all you need is .98 more to get a dollar.

AlexWasserman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My nano-cube seahorse tank grows tons of chaeto. It doubles every couple of weeks, so I don't need any algae. I'm hoping some algae (spores, cells, etc) will survive in the rocks for the a bit, and will eventually grow out again once I've set up the tank, much like it does with normal rock from a store.

I know the LFS just keeps their rock in a tub, no lights, etc. I was wondering how long it would last like that...

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
hey alex, skene is correct. you really don't need much to keep the rock in good cycled condition. if you put the rock in vats or rubbermaids with a heater and pump they will maintain their bacteria colonies, in fact without the light source what will happen is commonly known as "cooking live rock". the short version of "cooking", the rock will simply start to clean itself off of any unwanted algae and sludge as the bacteria goes to work on it. after a while your rock will look "brand new". Be mindful that any living organisms that need light will not make it through the process. also don't forget the water changes. good luck with the venture.

hopefully I gave you another few cents towards the dollar, are you buying any fish with that buck. lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: