Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
It started with a Montipora Verrucosa that I bought from a local pet store lastt week. I realized a day later that it contained the type of white nudibranch that munches on montipora species. It layed about a dozen eggs and I removed as much as I could, but I believe that some arer now moving about the tank. I found a small one the glass and I smugged it with my thumb. Can anyone share their experience with getting rid of this nuisance and what's available out there commercially that will wipe them out. I'm finding out that some of my M. Capricornis are all of a sudden becoming lunch and disintegrating. :grumpy:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Read Somewhere That Camel Back Shrimp Will Eat Them, But The Pieces Need To Be Qt'ed, Went Through It A Yr Ago And Ended Up Throwing All My Monti's Away, And Left Them Out For 6 Months To Starve Anything Left

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A buddy of mine had them we were able to get rid of them by taking the coral out and fresh water dip it then tooth bushed them off..note some the coral did recede but in the end it was saved and eradicated of nudis.. maybe just luck but it worked.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i tried the freshwater dip, ended up killing half the stuff, tried peroxide, tried iodine, flat worm exit, revive, there is a thread on rc melve's reef had it real bad, there is a chemical you can use if you can find it, but it doesnt kill egg's, personally if you have a qt id pull all of them out use a tooth brush and scrub all them really good with iodine and leave all monti's out of main tank for 6 months

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Thanks to all for the advice. I appreciate that there are reefers out there that share their personal experiences to improve the experiences of those new to the reefkeeping community. Our reef tanks are all mini ecosystems or mini oceans which we are trying to replicate and prevent disasters from occurring. We are all in it together!:birthday:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had it at one point in time and combatted it by dipping all monti's in an iodine solution every other day, and scrubbing all nooks and crannies with a hard toothbrush. one out of the 3 monti's i had didn't survive the treatment but I am now monti free and the others are growing very well.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
straight hydrogen peroxide. I had an explosion of these at one point and experimented with a few things but the only thing I observed actually destroy them was a straight hydrogen peroxide dip. They literally melted. I think it might have caused some of their cells to rupture just from what I could observe with the naked eye. I dipped them in their own container and rinsed with saltwater afterwards before returning them to the tank. I can't say whether or not it killed the eggs but it definitely ruined their day. I didn't get a chance to continue and find a good dip time to cut it down to just a few dips instead of weeks of dips. Each dip did result in a lot of nudi corpses on the bottom of the specimen container though so I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it will work.

The montis were visibly stressed for awhile and did recede but that's better than losing an entire colony.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: