nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Yup, get yourself a timer. Get one at Home Depot or Lowes for 5 bucks and you never have to worry about turning your lights on or off. Saves you time and effort.

If you can't get a timer before you go away, just leave the tank lights OFF. Leaving them on for extended periods of time can be harmful. Leaving it off for a couple of days won't do it any harm, think of it as a couple stormy/cloudy days. You'll never see the sun out for 48hours, where coral grow at least.

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I know I should get a timer. I have one that I thought worked but it doesnt. I'll get to home depot before I go away. Thanks for the advice on leaving the tank lights off.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My wife panics about anything to do with the tank whenever we go away. She's convinced we're going to come back to a burnt down home. I used to keep only my LEDS for a few days. Now I have family (w. avid reefer) that lives next door.

Steven

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would but a controller. It takes care of all of these concerns. If you can't get one before you go away just leave the lights off. There are dark days on the reef all of the time. I schedule 2 -3 days per month where my lighting is off to simulate those dark cloudy dingy stormy days.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing i would say apart from putting the lights on a timer, is not to change anything on the tank before you go. If its working well, don't adjust anything...Just clean the skimmer out and leave it at that.

There are more problems caused by making last minuet adjustments to stuff thats been running fine for months when people go away than anything else.

Regards

Simon.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
so true!

The other thing i would say apart from putting the lights on a timer, is not to change anything on the tank before you go. If its working well, don't adjust anything...Just clean the skimmer out and leave it at that.

There are more problems caused by making last minuet adjustments to stuff thats been running fine for months when people go away than anything else.

Regards

Simon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: