NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
All of my sps, acans, and palys have been closed for a few days now..and my birdsnests, toadstool, and other zoas are all fine.. i might have had a heater malfunction because tues morn i woke up and it was 73-normally around 75+ so i changed the heater and still get the same so i tested for the first time (all elos kits) in about 6 months and what i got was:
temp: 76.9
sg:1.025
nh3/4:.05 prob because i added 2 new fish (small) last thurs. last waterchange was on friday
po4:0 or .01 (theres a slight tint of blue)
ph:8.3
no2 and 3 both 0 i believe, the water in the vile has a light peachy tint unlike what the colors are on the chart (red/pink)
ca:400 usually around 450
dkh:6 which i know is low it has always been 8..
could the dkh be the problem? if so how would it get so low? i am going to do a waterchange when i get home...any help is appreciated!!!

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
guess u read it thanks for the help...
the angel has been taken out however my corals have been closed since i got home on monday i doubt that is the problem and im just trying to get answers for my dkh being low

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
did you double check your dkh? like test again and have someone else using a different tester check?
You could have screwed it up and came up with a false reading, or your testing kit went bad.

Did you add any high resource consuming corals/animals lately? Like clams?
or did you accidentally overdose calcium or alkalinity and caused precipitation?

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i checked it a few times actually and then checked the waterchange water and got 7 which is out of whack whenever ive tested it was always at 8.. i just bought the test kit in july i think and the exp date is 3/10.. i havent had anyone else check it out..

the last corals ive added was about 4 acan frags and some zoas from the swap and i havent dosed anything since i set up the tank just weekly waterchanges.. i have no idea what it could be dont even know what to search for lol the reason i posted again was that the thread was moved and i thought i would get answers posting in this forum..
say it is that low would it cause the sps/lps to close up??

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
the evidence is strong that the tibicin was the culpret because everything was fine i go away for the weekend and a few days after i put it in the tank i return and the tank is like this and ive observed him picking at the palys and 1-2 acros with no visible damage..but what makes me think its something else is that i have at least 15 sps frags and they are all closed and wouldnt they open back up after not being bothered for a few hrs?? i had to take all of my rock out just to get this lil bastard guess i should start a for sale thread now..
BTW I WAS WELL AWARE OF THE RISK I TOOK AND IT DIDNT WORK OUT SO I WILL FIND THIS FISH A NICE HOME ive had it almost a month now it was in qt for 3 weeks its a very active fish until you approach the tank he bolts into a cave..
i guess i wil find out by tomorrow if it was this fish causing the problem..

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Check you Mg. If that's low you will have trouble maintaining balance between calcium and Alk. Corals do not like low alk., so that may be your problem. I'd still keep an eye on that angel. My Africian Flameback angel just started nipping corals after being in the tank for 2 years, so he's being evicted.

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That and copper are the only tests i dont have.. sorry to hear that i actually wanted the flame angel and the one i wanted was bought earlier in the day.. hes back in the qt tank now and it wasnt fun getting him out.. at least i rearranged my rocks and have more room for corals.. the montis acans and palys have started to come out slightly but all acros are still closed

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: