Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,
What do you do when you have to go on an extended vacation? ie about 18 days or so? My cat sitter takes care of the tank for a maximum of a week or so, but longer I have qualms....

Any ideas and suggestions? (I pay her for doing this, so wouldnt mind hiring someone)

Mario

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hmm... Do you have an ATO?

I did a 30% water change before I left for mine.

In terms of food. I went away for about 3 weeks. Had parents do top off and made food in individual cups for each day so they could just drop it in.

I also had 2 reefers come by. Once each week.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have left my tank for 3months before and came back to everything fine.

A friend of mine stops by twice per week. I have an ATO and an automatic feeder. She stops by to make sure the water reservoir is filled and she doeses 2 part for me at that time as well. She also feeds frozen food for me those two days per week. I leave little blocks for her in the fridge in a pill container so she knows how much to feed. And then I leave her four emergency numbers of other people with tanks so if there is a problem she can call someone (when I go for a long time, I am not usually a quick cell phone call away. :) )

The worst thing that happened when I was gone (and this is when I still had a roommate who took care of the tank for me when I was gone) was that the power went out. I didn't have any siphon breaks in my returns at the time, and she panicked and water started to flood all over the floor. Then she further panicked when the corals were high and dry without water. So she just filled the tank up with the bottles of RO/DI water I'd left for her. Surprisingly the corals all survived, but I lost a bunch of inverts from the quick salinity drop.

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
unless you have an auto feeder and strict timer
or
someone to do your job
you might be in trouble
I have that problem but b/c i have an 8 gallon i just take the whole thing.
i carry the fish in containers in the car, and just secure the tank in the trunk.. it will cause a mini cycle but ur crabs/snails should be alright.
if youre flying, i dont know

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you have an auto feeder and strict timer
or
someone to do your job
you might be in trouble
I have that problem but b/c i have an 8 gallon i just take the whole thing.
i carry the fish in containers in the car, and just secure the tank in the trunk.. it will cause a mini cycle but ur crabs/snails should be alright.
if youre flying, i dont know

Thank you all for your suggestions. I found out after all that she has a friend who used to be in Saltwater a few years back..gave it up b/c of all the 'hassle/work' involved.......I know exactly what he means!!! He will coem with her during the vacation a few times to check on the tank in a more 'practiced' eye.

Appreciate your help mates......

Mario

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: