Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some months ago, I had an issue with low magnesium and very high calcium, much the same as you do. But, in my case, it was due to very low alkalinity at the same time. I'm not certain how things got out of hand the way they did but I think it can be attributed to a bad test kit for one of my water quality tests. Anyway, I did have some problems with coral in the my reef as a result which were addressed quickly without too much damage by raising the alkalinity and the magnesium levels. So, I'd suggest that you quickly have your alkalinity tested at a fish store, or using another test kit for alkalinity, so that you can determine if you need to raise it, rather than assuming that it needs to be lowered. Also, you should, of course, address the shortfall in magnesium.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
You should get someone else to verify your test results, just to make sure that things are that far out of whack.

Check your salt mix and see how the levels are reading in freshly mixed salt water. It may be where the problem is stemming from in the first place.

If the salt mix is OK do a water change, to change the levels in the tank a little. And then slowly increase the levels in the tank over a week or so, depending on how far out they really are.

It's tricky balancing all 3, but they've gotta have a nice balance if you want good things from the tank.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
You should get someone else to verify your test results, just to make sure that things are that far out of whack.

Check your salt mix and see how the levels are reading in freshly mixed salt water. It may be where the problem is stemming from in the first place.

If the salt mix is OK do a water change, to change the levels in the tank a little. And then slowly increase the levels in the tank over a week or so, depending on how far out they really are.

It's tricky balancing all 3, but they've gotta have a nice balance if you want good things from the tank.

+1

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi isgon26,

your levels are very uncontrolled. I think the best way to repair them is with water changes.

Depending the size of your reef, you will spend so much money trying to rise your mg with industrialized products.

You have a calcium reactor?

With one, you can rise both, but first you have to equilibrate them.

Hug

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I tend to agree with Ricardo & Kris (nanoreefer). First you should test your salt mix..some tend to settle and at times the 'mix' itself isn't evenly distributed within the bucket. Best to do that when you first open it.

If the salt mix is fine, I would be doing some water changes to get the Ca down, and the alk & Mg up in the tank. Again, if there is no issue with the salt, then there is something going on within the tank that is causing those numbers to be so far off..are you adding anything else to the tank?

Can you give us more info on the tank..size, how long it has been set up, any chemicals you have added, using rodi water, bioload...a pic might be helpful as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: