petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i saw a coralife RO unit on DR F&S. it was only 126.99-the cheapest one there after a plain-looking thing labelled "Tap Water Filter". and to answer cathy's questions: I told my mom to hopefully supply me with an easter basket in the form of a 10 gallon Q-tank, sponge filter, 100 watt heater, 2 300 watt heaters, 75 lbs of sand, 2 pengiun powerheads, and hood for Q-tank. currently all i have is a top with no lights or hood, just a top that needs cleaning.

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy C:
-1.No, he has never had one.
-2.I have read in books that in tank more than 36" long u should always have 2 heaters to evenly distribute the heat.

killerdrgn-$260 is cheap?

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
While heaters should be redundant in the event one blows out or one sticks in the 'on' position but 600 watts of heat in a 55g tank is overkill.

You posted in another thread about the pricing on the royal grammas..did you visit all these stores this past weekend to get ideas, or did your shopping over the phone?

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok than. how about 2 separate 200 watts. i checked out all the stores over time. at warehouse they had a really big one for $25. at jungle it was just labelled "Royal Gramma-$15". at adventure i asked the guy and he said 30-40$. i will probably drop the 2nd RG and 6l wrasse.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Wow. Seriously dude, slow down. You are going to have to revise your easter basket.

For the Firefish, you have to make sure you buy a mated pair, they potentially can kill each other.

Royal Grammas shouldn't cost you more than 20 dollars. I don't care what it is.
Being a fish ecologist (to a certain extent), I can tell you identifying the gender in a Royal Gramma can be difficult.

- Is the 55 Gallon Tank you have drilled? If it isn't you have to pay to have it drilled or get a Hang on Back Overflow in order to run a sump.

- You do NOT need 2 200 Watt Heaters. Just buy ONE 250 Watt heater and you are fine. Eheim Jager Heaters are fantastic and cost about $30.

-You need to buy a protein skimmer. Either a hang on back or a in sump (if you go this route). Look at the Aqua C Remora Skimmers w/ Maxijet pumps. This works well and can support your tank

-For an RODI unit check out Purewaterclub.com They have a 6 Stage RODI you can buy at a good price. Also Air,Water, and Ice (MR Vendor in Marketplace) has RODI units at a good price and stellar customer service.

-More importantly you are forgetting one big cost. Live Rock. This can be anywhere from 3-7.00 a pound depending on where you get it. For a tank your size you are going to need about 40-50 lbs.

-Then you have to think if you are going Barebottom on the tank (no sand) or sand bed. Sand should cost you about 50 dollars for 50 lbs. depending on what sand you get.

-You will also have to think about flow. You will need to buy powerheads. Koralia's or Maxijets perform well and are affordable.

-For Lights, it depends on what you are going to keep. If you are going to have soft corals. The least you can do is a Powercompact flourescent. If you want SPS you are going to need T5 to metal halide. It really depends. You have a 48" length tank, there are some for sale in the marketplace as well as online. This should run you about 200-250 dollars for powercompacts.

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
killerdrgn-$260 is cheap?

? huh?

Typhoon 3 is Price: $189.95
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON_III_AQUARIUM_RO_DI_75_or_100_GPD.html

and the regular no frills Typhoon is Price: $149.95
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON/Typhoon_5_stage_RODI_Reefkeeper_75_GPD.html

only the Typhoon 3 Extreme is Price: $269.95 Thats 150 gpd I really doubt you need this for a 55 gallon tank.
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/...RODI_with_Gauge_TDS_Alarm_Dual_TDS_Meter.html

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o ok. im not doing a sump. im doing a magnum HOT, koralia powerheads, and a bak-pak skimmer. i plan on using mostly dry rock, and than using a few lbs of liverock. yes i will use a sandbed. mom says she can do the 10 gallon, sand, sponge filter, and heater.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: