MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I just wanted to get a general consensus of what kind of set up people use as their QT tank and their hospital tanks?

What size tank?
Filtration?
Tank decorations/hiding spots?
(ok decorations is the wrong word... like pvc pipe for hiding spots, etc)
Lighting?
And do you leave it running all the time or just set them up when youre ready to put a fish in?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Only when ready to use them, I do a water change and fill up the 5g and then when done I break down.

I have also used a 5g bucket in the past as well. As long as it holds water and can be heated and filtered you are ok. I don't light it unless I need to and I try to keep it at room lighting.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'm with Chief on this. I don't buy fish very often so I don't keep a QT running. I keep a bio-wheel floating in my sump and when I need to set up a QT tank..I use tank water, a regular filter (with the bio-wheel), PVC pipe and some plastic plants to hide in,and a small heater. I also have a regular hood (standard lighting) for the tank. My QT tank also has 3 sides covered except for the front panel.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Oh I know. I dont need it right now, Im not planning to adding fish seeing as how I'll be moving soon. And I wanna get a new larger tank. This was for my own knowledge and future ideas. Its good to know there are many good possibilities, and the idea of floating the biowheel in the sump or running the actual filter in the sump is a really good idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: