Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I bleached my rock. It's going to rain all week, so sun drying is not an option.

Thinking about using a dechlorinator. Any recommendations?

I've seen people recommend:
amquel
sodium thiosulfate
Prime (seachem?)

I don't even know what the first two are :hairy:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This is the stuff I use after I seriously soak anything in chlorine bleach:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~HG17763.html

It is available in many LFS's too.

It is very concentrated and only 1 drop per gallon is needed - though I do use more.
Might be best not to rush the rock and I would definitely leave it out in the sun (if it ever comes out again...) to let the rocks air dry as long as possible.

What were you killing off anyway? :)

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
any chlorine remover will work, don't overdose as you'll just waste it. I've measured stress coat to be very effective at 1 drop per gallon. it removes all chlorine/chloramine in just under 5 seconds.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Purigen Bleaching and de-clorinating Question.

Guys,
I have sort of the same question...
I have a bag of exhausted purigen so:
What bleach can I use to re-fresh it?
For how long to soak it in the bleach?
After bleaching can I just put in a container with water and add say 5ml of stress coat to declorinate?

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
i don't think you are talking about the same stuff here, bleach is not chlorine but chlorine might be in the bleach (vs. non chlorine bleach). Putting dechlorinator in the solution of bleach does not de-bleach it. do correct if i am wrong.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
bleach is not chlorine but chlorine might be in the bleach (vs. non chlorine bleach). do correct if i am wrong.

Per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

"Common chemical bleaches include household "chlorine bleach", a solution of approximately 3?6% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO)"

It's a chemical compound that includes Cl (chlorine).

The wiki also states:

"Sodium thiosulfate (hypo) is an effective chlorine neutralizer. Rinsing with a 5 mg/L solution, followed by washing with soap and water, quickly removes chlorine odor from the hands."

Stresscoat (the dechlorinator I'm using) contains sodium thiosulfate.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

"Common chemical bleaches include household "chlorine bleach", a solution of approximately 3?6% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO)"

It's a chemical compound that includes Cl (chlorine).

The wiki also states:

"Sodium thiosulfate (hypo) is an effective chlorine neutralizer. Rinsing with a 5 mg/L solution, followed by washing with soap and water, quickly removes chlorine odor from the hands."

Stresscoat (the dechlorinator I'm using) contains sodium thiosulfate.

You just repeated what I said. "A compound that includes the Chlorine".

I am not sure that chlorine neutralizer will netrualize the bleach or just the chlorine part of it if anything (which maybe in effect neutralizes the bleach, which I doubt), then there are non-chlorine bleaches too.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I just read an article online that Peroxide is very effective in braking the chlorine based bleach into the three elements Chlorine, Oxygen and Water. I guess that since Chlorine is a gass it would evaporate in about 24-48 hours or the solutions then can be treated with chlorine remover such as aforementioned sodium thiosulfate.

The formula is...

OCl- + H2O2 -->> Cl- + H2O + O2

well that just breaks the bleach, the chlorine has to be either dissipated or neutralized still.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: