that fish guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has any one heard of a cloudy day? A place in Conn. has a cloudy day once a week. I cloudy day is for people who have reefs that don't turn/keep their lights on for 24 hrs. It is like having a cloudy day outside, where if you go scuba diving you can't see what is 25 feet in front of you and the corals really don't get any light. The place in Conn. said you don't have to do it every week, but it is good to do at least once a month for either 24 or 48 hrs. They said it helps reduce algae growth and it is good for your corals b.c it is like giving them a day to "relax".

I have never heard of this before and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard this. The person who told me this said that really only advanced reefs/reefers do this (he said for people how mostly keep hard corals, more along the lines of SPS).

Any feedback relating to this would be great.

Thanks

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My lights go on at 8 pm and go off at 7am. So I turn the lights off at 7am on Friday and don't turn the lights back on until 8pm on Saturday. The lights are off for 37 hours in a row. Everythings seems to be normal. I don't see any difference in the tank. I just do it because there are dark/stormy days on the reef.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We do a period of 48 to 72 hours every month or so. Haven't in a while but have done it often enough in the past will no ill effects. Storms can roll in and remain for several days at a time, so that is why we do a longer period than 24 hours. There is no rhyme or reason for when we do it... just when I think of it... the lights go out.

that fish guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So honestly what is the point having a cloudy day? I was told and thought of would make it tank look and be healthier and make your corals do better since corals grow/spread when the lights are off/at night.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I've been doing the same as Sybil (Pink) for a few years now. I also turn my lights off for 72 hrs (3 days ;) ) straight once a month. I was practicing this routine for a few years consistently and it has been awhile (4-5 months) since the last time, but I did it often enough to know it does absolutely NO harm at all to my system. When I turned the lights back on, the polyps would always be extended as far as they could and the corals looked great.

I will continue this practice forever.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
But what was the point in this it. Did it help reduce algae or did make your corals grow or look nicer/heathier? I don't understand why you guys are doing this if it doesn't dj anything for your tank.

Algae growth all but disappears (if there was any in the first place), the corals look better when lights are reintroduced and the fact is, nature darkens the reefs during storms for days at a time, sometimes. If these are all good things AND it saves the lighting portion of electricity usage, why wouldn't everyone do it?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
+1 And even if you dont notice a difference in your tank. It may make the corals happy to get a break. Who's to say that just because we dont see an immediate difference. That it is not a benefit in the long run?

Algae growth all but disappears (if there was any in the first place), the corals look better when lights are reintroduced and the fact is, nature darkens the reefs during storms for days at a time, sometimes. If these are all good things AND it saves the lighting portion of electricity usage, why wouldn't everyone do it?

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Russ-- you were the one who had mentioned this to us when we had started ;)

Why do it? It makes sense, doesn't it? Don't we all try and recreate as close as we can, a natural reef system? Something that the animals that we keep will feel as close to home in our glass boxes... if so then lights out simulating what happens in nature with the sun during a storm or bad weather seems like a good idea.

Ideally I'd like to have enough lighting set up where we could simulate the movement of the sun throughout the day, by coming on/shutting off etc. and the movement of the moon from rise to set. Though we don't have that... just yet. (maybe in the future, who knows)

How important is it really? I don't know but it would be an interesting read if someone knows of any studies done on such a thing. Would be like see results overtime with a tank that practices lights out vs a tank that doesn't.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: