Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need help...;( (well as far as an aquarium goes)

Had 12 clams of various shapes and sizes. After 6 months down to 6. The smaller ones died. They are fine until a day before death, then they close up and the next day..in clam heaven.

• The tank is 26 gallons, sand bed about 4 inches for 6 years now
  • SG 1.025, Temp 76 Deg F, Alk 3.0mg/dl, Ca 300mg/dl, Phosphate and nitrate around 0 (phosphate is around 2mg/dl I am sure),
  • Banded Shrimp died last week after 4 years in the tank.
  • Now I have hair algae.
  • 5 gallons RO water with Instant Ocean ever week
What gives....time to overhall the tank? Remove the sand and change water completely?

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
1st item i notice is extremely low
"Ca 300"
how r u testing your phosphates n what test kit r u testing with?
26 gal housing 12 clams is a bit much. i'm not surprise you'r down to 6. good stable alk/ca is vital to clams.
changing water evry week is good but beware sometimes nsw par r not up to par. test to be sure n dose accordingly.

my guess is your po4 is high n mg may b outa wrack.

Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Do you know what the lighting requirements are for the clams you have. Do you know the calcium levels required. What volume of water you need per clam. Have you ever seen 12 clams in one small tank other than short term in an LFS. My guess is that you should be reading more.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I agree with the above.. your calc and alk are pretty low. I'd try slowly dosing a 2 part solution (read the directions carefully) until it goes up.

Your 6 year old 4 inch sandbed is a possible problem as well. I like to keep my sand bed pretty shallow.. at about 1 inch or less.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It would be helpful to know what livestock you have in the tank besides the clams. Also, how long have you had the clams?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: