INNEED

BROOKLYN
Rating - 95.9%
93   4   0
hey i got a 38 gal set up eveything is running nice levels are all good no problem.... i just got a 125 gal i put about 80 pound of sand in there the sand was from a old setup and filled it up with 3 inches of water made from my ro/di system... i mixed it in a bucket for 48 hours then put it in the tank i put a power head on the 3 inches of water in the 125 gal tank no rock wats so ever its been running for like a week now.i couldnt make more water cuz my ro/di system broke..... i was wondering if it will be ok to take the water,rock,sand thats in my 38 and put it in my 125 gal would i be able to transfer the fish right away or would the tank need to cycle or wat please help me.........

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I would wait to cycle. Its sound to me by reading some of your other threads is that your rushing into things. "Patients" is the key in this hobby or you will be broke$$ because all coral and fish keep dying on you because you rushed the cycle. Some tanks take 6months to a year to cycle.
Good luck and if you need help feel free to Pm me.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You need to stop asking questions if you're not going to listen to what people tell you.

You've been advised to sell all your livestock, which I seem to remember you saying you did, so are these new fish, or did you lie?

You were advised to learn how to run a tank with the one you had and not buy a bigger one, which you did anyway.

You have had people refuse to sell you things for fear that you'll kill everything.

So are you dense? Illiterate? Or just going to do whatever you want regardless of what people tell you?

A ton of people on here have offered to help you and you refuse to listen to experienced reefers. Go buy a book, then ask intelligent questions about what you've read, then start to set up a tank.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would if I were you go to your lfs and buy the amount of RO/DI water you need to fill the tank- then add the LR and cycle it THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. Like stated above you are in a rush in every thread you post. 3 inches of water ? Come on man time to **** or get off the pot- get serious and follow the advice that so many have given you or stop asking. The way youre going you are setting yourself up for failure yet again, not to mention you are going to kill livestock at a skyhigh rate and thats not fair to the animals. Dont mean to sound condescending but just do it right in the beginning and it will all fall into place, dont and it will come crashing down in a tank failure---Just my opinions good luck with it all.

Last edited:

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
WTF? DUDE you keep asking bad questions, you went and got the 125, if you have 3inches of water IN A WITH ROCKS AND SAND, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE APPROX 10GALS. Put your 38 gals (with rocks and sand in your 38gal tank) those 38 gals are realy more like 28. your tank will be 1/4 full, add fish, and watch them die
THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE GONNA DO. STAY OFF THE FOR SALE FORUM, STAY AWAY FROM LFS, STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THATS ALIVE. YOU ARE RUSHING

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
What?

I would wait to cycle. Its sound to me by reading some of your other threads is that your rushing into things. "Patients" is the key in this hobby or you will be broke$$ because all coral and fish keep dying on you because you rushed the cycle. SOME TANKS TAKE 6MONTHS TO A YEAR TO CYCLE.
Good luck and if you need help feel free to Pm me.

Tanks take 3weeks to a month MAX
Cycle and Mature are 2 different things

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
OK LET US HELP YOU STEP BY STEP
1. Put live rock in tank
2. distribute live sand evenly around tank
3. Pour RO/di filtered salt water, or buy premade saltwater.
4. Turn on powerhead.
5. Forget tank exists for 2 weeks. (buy skimmer,lights, reliable test kits,READ,READ)
6. test parameters, do partial water change(continue to read)
7. forget about tank and any live stock for an additional 2 weeks(read some more)
8. When you run tests and nitrate, and nitrite is at 0ppm, INSERT 1 DAMSEL.
9. IF DAMSEL IS ALIVE AFTER 2 WEEKS, INSERT ANOTHER FISH FROM YOUR 38 GAL, AND 5 SNAILS
10. ALLOW 1 WEEK SO THAT BIOLOGICALLY THE TANK CATCHES UP..READ UP ON ANY FURTHER LIVESTOCK FOR COMPATIBILITY AND CARE.

ANYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THIS LIST AS THEY SEE FIT

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
NYC only thing I would add is what I did by masterswimmers advice and worked great for me- add 1 cocktail shrimp raw, washed with RO/DI water and let the bacterias eat it away to kick in the cycle and to dose with microbacter7 or another bacteria for the first 2 weeks.

And on this note am done with the thread- hopefully he listens to peoples advice from this and his past threads and has success.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
OK LET US HELP YOU STEP BY STEP
1. Put live rock in tank
2. distribute live sand evenly around tank
3. Pour RO/di filtered salt water, or buy premade saltwater.
4. Turn on powerhead.
5. Forget tank exists for 2 weeks. (buy skimmer,lights, reliable test kits,READ,READ)
6. test parameters, do partial water change(continue to read)
7. forget about tank and any live stock for an additional 2 weeks(read some more)
8. When you run tests and nitrate, and nitrite is at 0ppm, INSERT 1 DAMSEL.
9. IF DAMSEL IS ALIVE AFTER 2 WEEKS, INSERT ANOTHER FISH FROM YOUR 38 GAL, AND 5 SNAILS
10. ALLOW 1 WEEK SO THAT BIOLOGICALLY THE TANK CATCHES UP..READ UP ON ANY FURTHER LIVESTOCK FOR COMPATIBILITY AND CARE.

ANYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THIS LIST AS THEY SEE FIT

ONE THING Dont buy a damsel!! Most people cant get them out or they even die during cycle. if he is putting live rock in tank it will cycle because it will have die off from being live. If its dry rock then add 1 small live rock to start cycle. Then check all water after 3 weeks min. I see he is rushing already and will keep doing that even if test kits show bad.He has to slow down and I am afraid once tank is cycled he will buy everything to quick

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
i said to buy a damsel after the tank has cycled for about a month, if you read his prior posts, he was "told by his buddy to cycle with a seahorse"
$5 damsel vs $90 seahorse

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
why spend any money in the first place? He will get a ammonia spike in the first 2-3 weeks and most fish die from this.I see your point about to test with a $5 damsel but a good test kit works better IMO
Yes your right seahourse,who told him this should be shot,LOL

I just want to brainwash him back to taking his time and not rush this hobby

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: