NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY guys. many people have told me to buffer r/o water. many people have told me not to buffer. i have r/o water in my home. around 15 gallons. i have a 10 gal nano tank. i have been topping off without using buffer in the r/o water which i use to top off. my r/o water is at 5.0 ph. should i start buffering? my parameters are normal BUT my chromis seem stressed as posted in other threads. they are hiding in corner and will not eat much if any at all. id i start to buffer r/o water for top offs do you think i will see a change?? my params are

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate ?? unknown - it should be low because corals r thriving, but fish arent. i also put in a new filter pad.
ph- 8.0 with lights turned off.

idk wats wrong with these fish. someone one here told me to leave the tank alone. but i still have to feed and do top offs. should add buffer to the top offs? will it make a difference? o and when i top off keep in mind i dont heat my r/o water so it's probably like at 65 degrees.. but i dont put that much water in. also why hasnt my water been crystal clear???? i did do a water change 2 days ago. maybe glass is dirty??

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You should be more concerned with salinity changes in a small tank. Which is why you should be topping off daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
im the one who said leave the tank alone.. you told me in a few messages that you rescaped the tank moved things around did water changes and then wanted to know y your fish are stressed.. so i said leave the tank alone let it settle in.. but tat doesnt mean neglect the tank and not feed them... just keep your hands out of the tank for a few days and let the fish settle in!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
nitrate ?? unknown

Hey again, Nano. You really should be testing nitrates, as well as some other parameters. Consider getting this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHQABO/?tag=reefs04-20

Also, I don't know anything about buffering RO top off water... I don't buffer mine, and you and I have roughly the same water volume.

+1 to Moto's comment. We've already established that you need to slow down a bit... just sit back, try not to worry, and keep stable parameters for the fishies.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Try this technique it seems to work wonders.....

First, pour the whole bottle of buffer down the drain in the sink.

Second, give away what is left of your fish, coral and rock.

Third, take the tank back to the store where you got it and trade it in for a hamster.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Try this technique it seems to work wonders.....

First, pour the whole bottle of buffer down the drain in the sink.

Second, give away what is left of your fish, coral and rock.

Third, take the tank back to the store where you got it and trade it in for a hamster.

Try these things they seem to ACTUALLY work:

First--Ignore comments by 1 year experts that think they can get a laugh out of people at your expense.

Second- Listen to the people with a lot of posts that youve read some of that make sense and have actually helped others.

Third- Be patient in the hobby and it will pay off tenfold.

Fourth-- Keep asking questions BUT listen to the advice given by reputable people

Your R/O water is for top of and mixing of new saltwater----- your water changes will maintain your PH/ALK and other elements of a healthy system that youre asking about with buffering. Once you have a high amount of corals that use trace elements at an accelerated rate is when your 2 part systems come into play. Your PH will swing naturally during your light cycle.

After you get a bigger system where theres a sump/refugium involved- you put the light cycle on the fuge opposite the display tank and it helps your PH stay more balanced since there is always some kind of light source on somewhere in your system.

Nevermind people that are unkind when they have no reason to be. BUT when you ask advice and an experienced person gives you an opinion dont ask them are you sure? Because others said different.

Take the answers you get and if not sure which to really follow take a middle of the road approach- some of what this guy said- some of what the other guy said and try different things. You will soon find out what is right and what works for your system.

Because there are so many variables in this hobby---differences in everyones systems everything except for the very basics will differ from system to system--and therefor if you ask 10 people the same question, youll get 11 different answers- each will be different then one will change their original if they didnt realize some info on your question when you originally asked.

And as motortrendz has stated- EVERY TIME you put your hands in the tank you stress your fish, I cant remember the last time I saw a reef with a giant hand coming down to move their home around and stirring up all the sand around them.

ANY kind of extreme light after the room being dark will stress them they are sensitive creatures and you need to do whatever you can not to stress them. PLUS everytime you put your hands in the tank you introduce oils and other contaminants that SHOULD NOT be in the tank, so keep your hands out of that tank as much as possible- and IF you HAVE to go in- buy some reef sleeves or other reefing gloves that come up to your elbow to do the work.

One more thing- ALL reefers should have the following test kits good kits not cheap ones. API are ok for ph and ammonia but I like Saliferts for the others, pricey but worth every penny:

PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate- it wont show up on kits till there is a strong presence though- but its good to have.
Calcium
DkH/ALK
Magnesium
and should be on top of your readings and levels.

Best wishes.....Jimmy

Last edited:

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try these things they seem to ACTUALLY work:

First--Ignore comments by 1 year experts that think they can get a laugh out of people at your expense.

Second- Listen to the people with a lot of posts that youve read some of that make sense and have actually helped others.

Third- Be patient in the hobby and it will pay off tenfold.

Fourth-- Keep asking questions BUT listen to the advice given by reputable people

Your R/O water is for top of and mixing of new saltwater----- your water changes will maintain your PH/ALK and other elements of a healthy system that youre asking about with buffering. Once you have a high amount of corals that use trace elements at an accelerated rate is when your 2 part systems come into play. Your PH will swing naturally during your light cycle.

After you get a bigger system where theres a sump/refugium involved- you put the light cycle on the fuge opposite the display tank and it helps your PH stay more balanced since there is always some kind of light source on somewhere in your system.

Nevermind people that are unkind when they have no reason to be. BUT when you ask advice and an experienced person gives you an opinion dont ask them are you sure? Because others said different.

Take the answers you get and if not sure which to really follow take a middle of the road approach- some of what this guy said- some of what the other guy said and try different things. You will soon find out what is right and what works for your system.

Because there are so many variables in this hobby---differences in everyones systems everything except for the very basics will differ from system to system--and therefor if you ask 10 people the same question, youll get 11 different answers- each will be different then one will change their original if they didnt realize some info on your question when you originally asked.

And as motortrendz has stated- EVERY TIME you put your hands in the tank you stress your fish, I cant remember the last time I saw a reef with a giant hand coming down to move their home around and stirring up all the sand around them.

ANY kind of extreme light after the room being dark will stress them they are sensitive creatures and you need to do whatever you can not to stress them. PLUS everytime you put your hands in the tank you introduce oils and other contaminants that SHOULD NOT be in the tank, so keep your hands out of that tank as much as possible- and IF you HAVE to go in- buy some reef sleeves or other reefing gloves that come up to your elbow to do the work.

One more thing- ALL reefers should have the following test kits good kits not cheap ones. API are ok for ph and ammonia but I like Saliferts for the others, pricey but worth every penny:

PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate- it wont show up on kits till there is a strong presence though- but its good to have.
Calcium
DkH/ALK
Magnesium
and should be on top of your readings and levels.

Best wishes.....Jimmy

thanks so much for explaning everything =)

ps: my tank still doing well and my fish are actually more active than b4.. i am also not going to get a hamster. and to the guy that said i should does he even know my tank is 10 gallons? a 10 gallon is really hard to care for and i have had nothing go wrong so far.. i bet he has a huge 50 gallon or something... i just wanted people to know that i dont have it easy in this hobby because of the tank size... i will however soon upgrade probably within a year.. maybe i can get a 50 gallon from someone on this site who is going out of the hobby. that way i won't have to spend as much. also i am STILL reading but i know i do have alot more to learn. but everything progresses.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
thanks so much for explaning everything =)

ps: my tank still doing well and my fish are actually more active than b4.. i am also not going to get a hamster. and to the guy that said i should does he even know my tank is 10 gallons? a 10 gallon is really hard to care for and i have had nothing go wrong so far.. i bet he has a huge 50 gallon or something... i just wanted people to know that i dont have it easy in this hobby because of the tank size... i will however soon upgrade probably within a year.. maybe i can get a 50 gallon from someone on this site who is going out of the hobby. that way i won't have to spend as much. also i am STILL reading but i know i do have alot more to learn. but everything progresses.

No problemmo.

Yes the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain. The fact that the fish are more active is a good sign that theyre starting to destress and settle in.

Some people seem harsh on here but are actually attempting to help and some are just trying to be a little---well you know, just learn how to decipher between the 2 types and youll be fine.

I hope the few tidbits I tried to give helped you out.

Im sure I left out a bunch but hopefully helps you get on the right track.

Best of luck and if you have any questions youd like to ask me feel free to reefberry or pm me. If I know the answers Ill tell you, if I dont Ill ask people that Iknow that do for you.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
+1
Perfect for Nano..

Just wondering...Is there a reason you seem to target a brand new reefer with what may be regarded as silly or dumb question- ones that WE HAVE ALL HAD in the beginning?

I find it interesting that you have been on this board for 2 months and you want to hammer someone brand new in the hobby.(when you have a year in the same hobby)

Usually the ones that offer demeaning comments and no useful information are the ones that dont know much themselves about the particular area theyre doing it about. Whether that be in life experience or hobbies.

Not tryin to be a jerk but theres no reason to keep at it. Get off the guys case and let him learn either through listening or the school of hard knocks.

Just my 0.02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: