Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok let me be the first to take advantage of this wonderful new forum.

So I just bought a "pre owned" tank and it has some dead coraline algae on the glass. Can I just scrape it off or should I wait until I fill it with water so it softens it up a little bit? Obviously I really don't want to scratch the glass.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
scrap it off 1st... if yout dont want it on the back of the glass. figure less mess. you can use a razor and a clean spray bottle with ro water to moisten it up.... i always stay away from tap water even if your just cleaning the or doing what your doing.

when i took out the sandbed out of my tank i just left the dead coralline in hopes that new coraline would grow right on top of it. so far its happened in the front bottom left corner of my tank....

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Depends on how much there is and how big the tank is. I used to fill the tank up with hot water and vinegar and let it soak and then use a sponge to clean it all off. Plus it cleans everything else also. If you are going to use a razor blade on it, use a new one and be careful as it can scratch the glass and there is no way to buff it out. Scratches inside the tank can fill with algea and look horrible so be careful.

Kasei

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i always get nervous when dealing with vinegar and then having to totally ensure that all that vinegar is out before the livestock goes in.. the vinegar will drastically lower ph to like nothing lolz... i dunno i guess im just scared to do it that way.. but with enough clean water after the vinegar and hot water shouldnt be any problems.. that is a great idea pseudo

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the quick answers :)

Tonyscoots84 said:
scrap it off 1st... if yout dont want it on the back of the glass.

I don't mind if it stays on the back of the tank or on the overflow. I just want to get it off the sides.

Pseudo said:
Depends on how much there is and how big the tank is.

it's a 90g and it's not that much. I just want to start fresh you know

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
your call let us no how it worked out and take some picsss... also if you are using the razor again just becareful to take it slow and easy and not to scrap the glass. i razored a whole 75 gallon tank and did not scratch it once so its all good.

not a problem for the quick answers.. thats why were here...

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
You can use a spray bottle with hot water and vinegar. Spray it well and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes and BAMMM it will wipe right off. Solution is half vinegar and half water.

HTH,

Kasei

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
there wont be a trace amount in your tank, what it does is use coraline calcium and bicarbonate as a buffer. Lowering the PH (using vinger) all on the surface of the coraline, will make the bicarbonate buffer the PH back up. Therefore making it dissolve....... therefore *GONE* liquidfied

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
you should get a "Reef Gadgets" scrapper.
vinegar works great, dont be afraid. but i would just do it with a scrapper when the tank is filled, you'll be doing it anyway for the new corraline growth.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Pseudo said:
You can use a spray bottle with hot water and vinegar. Spray it well and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes and BAMMM it will wipe right off. Solution is half vinegar and half water.

HTH,

Kasei

Agreed!

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Pseudo said:

HTH,

Kasei

Great! sounds easy enough
Gonna go out and get some vinegar. I guessing white vinegar?

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
lolz... manny any updates on ur work so far... let us no take some pics of the tank..

Taking pictures for sure. :approve:
I'm building the stand now. so as soon as I'm done I'll be more than happy to share my progress.

A little nervous about the big jump in only 2+ months into the hobby :eek:
but I'm hooked :D

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ahhhh its ok... its the beginners butterflys.. no need to be nervous the family got ur back... we here for ya so ask any questions or doubts u have so we can help you figure whateva is needed to be figured out... manny have fun building this. and keep us posted..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: