Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guy yesterday i posted that i have alot of build up on my tank well after i applied the sock and took out the media the water started to clear up i just came home from school and my tank looks green again and a another fish died whats going on here i dont understand how is a sump better than a canister,when i had my fluval 404 my tank was crystal clear.my sump like i said has three parts skimmer-fuge-and return also i hanged a filter on the back of the sump which contains carbon i put it in the filter because the other bag i place on the return portion poped and some carbon went into my tank and i dont think its water flow because if that was the case i would of had this same problem with the fluval ,please help me out,this forum was created for a reason

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
PB,

canister filters are just the fast way to get your tank on -

Sump, refuge, sand and live rock are the ecological balance system parts that (once cycled) will mainain a healthier reef for you.

You MUST NOT put any fish in your tank until you find out what is going on.

You also need to post the info I am requesting for us to better assist - answer what you can as accurately as possible.

Temperature: Steady? Fluxuating? Range?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Alkalinity:
Specific Gravity:
Phosphate:
Calcium:
Live Rock (how much)
Water Flow:
Tank and equipment Info: Sump, fuge, skimmer etc

House

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Temperature: Steady? Fluxuating? Range?range between 78-82
Ammonia: last time i checked 0 which was yesterday
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: didnt check but must be high
pH: 8.1
Alkalinity: dont know
Specific Gravity: 1.024
Phosphate: dont know
Calcium:dont know
Live Rock (how much) about 30lbs
Water Flow: 2 maxi jets a 1200 and a 900
1st is the skimmer then the fuge which has sand and one piece of rock a aquaclear which has a bag of carbon inside and the return pump thats all

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Response

Too much fluxuation - should be no more than 2 degrees

Ammonia: last time i checked 0 which was yesterday (this is good)

Nitrite:0 (and good)

Nitrate: didnt check but must be high (this is a must know)

Alkalinity: dont know (not cirtical but you should know)

Phosphate: dont know (This is an alarm)

If you have this many don't knows then you have much more work to do than you can imagine - without good readings on your phosphates and nitrates (cornerstones in understanding what is going on in your reef, you will have difficulty working out the problem

Calcium:dont know (not cirtical but you should know)

good to know, but useless without knowing the size of the tank - need that info

1st is the skimmer
(what kind, how big, location)

then the fuge (see previous parens) which has sand and one piece of rock a aquaclear which has a bag of carbon inside (get rid of this immediately or rplace immediately) and the return pump thats all what size pump

House

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
House has given you some very valuable info. I believe your calcium and alkalinity unknowns are actually critical to analyzing your problem. Fish will NOT die from high nitrates or high phosphates. It will fuel algae growth though.

You should spend a few bucks and get a refractometer and a quality Alkalinity/hardness test kit (Salifert is good). With these readings I think we'll be better able to guide you.

Russ

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
House of Laughter said:
Too much fluxuation - should be no more than 2 degrees

Ammonia: last time i checked 0 which was yesterday (this is good)

Nitrite:0 (and good)

Nitrate: didnt check but must be high (this is a must know)

Alkalinity: dont know (not cirtical but you should know)

Phosphate: dont know (This is an alarm)

If you have this many don't knows then you have much more work to do than you can imagine - without good readings on your phosphates and nitrates (cornerstones in understanding what is going on in your reef, you will have difficulty working out the problem

Calcium:dont know (not cirtical but you should know)

good to know, but useless without knowing the size of the tank - need that info

1st is the skimmer
(what kind, how big, location)

then the fuge (see previous parens) which has sand and one piece of rock a aquaclear which has a bag of carbon inside (get rid of this immediately or rplace immediately) and the return pump thats all what size pump

House
the carbon thats in the aquaclear is brand new and the pump is a dolphin 900

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MyTank.jpg
[/IMG]
i did a little ajustment in water flow and i think its clearing my water up a bit,i have a valve that controls the speed of the return pump but the problem i had is that the pump will suck the water up to fast causing it to make loud slerping noises (very annoying)so i added more water and cranked the pump and adjust the positions of my maxijets and i saw improvement

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
PrettyBoy said:
doesnt carbon make your water clearer why should i take it out of my sump

How long have you had the carbon in your sump? Carbon absorbs impurities. When it is exhausted it will begin to adsorb those impurities back into your water. That's why it's so important to be diligent about replacing carbon no longer than every four weeks.

I also agree wholeheartedly that your tap water is the beginning of your problems.

master

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
masterswimmer said:
How long have you had the carbon in your sump? Carbon absorbs impurities. When it is exhausted it will begin to adsorb those impurities back into your water. That's why it's so important to be diligent about replacing carbon no longer than every four weeks.

I also agree wholeheartedly that your tap water is the beginning of your problems.

master
i just put the carbon like 2 days ago

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
tap water is not satan

Well I guess it depends where you live. In NYC Tap water is not satan. For a FOWLR or a softy tank I think tap water is fine. I use 100% tap water in my tank and I have no issues. I wouldn't try tap in an SPS tank or even a heavily LPS tank but softies like dirty water.

As long as you practice good husbandry and common sence you should be ok. I run carbon once a week pull it after a day or two. I use a Phosphate sponge which is also changed weekly. I aerate new water for 24 hours with a Mag 7 and phosphate sponge combination. I have ZERO nuisance algae, ZERO Nitrates and no macroalgae anywhere.

Your milage may very but that's my experience.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: