chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Whadayall think of Fluvals? Basically got 204 canister free from a friend and dont know whether its worth running on my tank .... which is a 40 long.

rebedding tank tomorrow and thought running filter without charcoal or bios would at least pull some floating debris. skimmer will be ready sunday and that will to do real work.

u guys have a lot of patience. some recent newbies would have gotten the boot from me by now. thanks....

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
lolz... chasesng i say if its only going to be up till sunday then no biggie.. i say go for it.. but i dont think its going to pull anything out without it having anything in it to catch the debris.. do yourself a favor go get something at the pet shop such as a sponge u can throw in there or something fluval makes to catch the debris and then just clean it out that night. and clean it out the next day.. dont leave that junk in there.. and then sunday throw on ur skimmer. just my opinion..

its no problem with the newbies cause in my eyes i used to be the same way.... they say patience is the best thing one can have.. were not here to yell or even boot them off. were here to help no matter what.... no matter the question. no stupid question is a bad question lolz..but dont we all start off that way and somehow mature in reefing...anywayssss.. but yea go for it dont use the other stuff just something to catch debris and clean it out ull be fine.. then when u put ur skimmer on take the fluval and sell it to a poor soul on ebay.... LMAO..

this is my opinion and rec. maybe someone else would use it in a diff. way.. but since ur disturbing the sand bed or doing whatever else ur doing in that tank i say just use it to catch the garbage. BUT make sure u clean it frequently between sat. and sunday when u install ur skimmer....

heres a stupid question.... why are you rebedding your tank and what are you rebedding it with.. has your tank cycled... if it has u have already built up all the denitrifaction bacteria in the existing bed that you are using. just let us no.. thanks

anthony

Last edited:

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
its got a sponge sort of filter in it so i figure that will trap some debris. its got some charcoal but the bio tubes are history

tony...why go BB? u dont like the sand in your shorts?...just a look thing?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ok that would be fine. BUT remember as i said do please clean that out frequently on sat. and sunday.. dont let the crapola stay in there. def. not good..

a couple of questions....

before u do what you gotta do..

what livestock do you have in the tank?
what do u plan on doing with them while u tranfer out the existing bed?
do u have live rock in there?
how long has that tank been up?
and what substrate are you using as of now and will be using?

just a couple of questions for you to ask urself and let me no before you do anything..

i changed over to BB cause i was tired of the sand. i wanted to try out some sps and i knew i was going to need more flow.. well i did and bought a tunze 1500gph.. everything is doing absolutely great.. cant complain.. everything is thriving..

but let us no what you plan on doing and how u are going to manage this so u have a fail safe system on not killing anything..

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
sorry didnt see the last paragraph of your post when i responded.

rebedding cuz i got tank 2 weeks ago and tried to reuse PO's sand. then i decided it needed some extra and added the wrong stuff...silica! i discovered the error of my ways pretty quickly thru the help of local contacts here which i found thru MR which was absolutely key

so the tank is running now with the fluval, LR, and bad sand. i posted pics asking if the rockwas live earlier this week or last. there's nothing else in the tank (cept a heater and a pump)

picked up aragonite sand, cleaned it tonite with ro, will empty tank tomorrow keeping rock wet. then clean out tank with more ro and put in the new sand and rock and fresh water (may have to reuse a little of the old water)

my readings are okay except for nitrate which seems pretty high could have been the crap in the fluval or the old sand bed. the rock seems to be accumulating some coraline tho which is encouraging.

just taking it slo, resisting wife and kid pleas to stock with cleaner crew

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
lolz... one thing u might not want to use any of that older water in the new tanks water.. one reason is that it contains silicates from the sand that u put in.. so use 100% new water RO.. start off fresh and new water.. umm yea def. keep the rock wet.. well good luck with ur switch over. anyways i gotta get to bed. got work tom. at 7am not good. lolz.. well good luck if ya need any other help just give me a call on my cell 718 608 4016 maybe i can answer ur question better that way..

hopefully ive helped ya with ur questions...
anthony...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: