House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Wingo, no offense, but if you're worrying about the setting of a heater after buying snd setting up a complete setup from another reefer, you have alot more reading to do!

Temperature: between 75? and 83? F and constant - Should not move more than two degrees in one day - best at 78-79 degrees for a mixed reef

House

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I agree with house on the reading and researching. I'm hoping you don't have any livestock in there yet and are just cycling the tank. ASK QUESTIONS and read. There are a ton of experienced reefers on this board that are eager to offer assistance and guidance. No question is dumb. Ask away.

Russ

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Yes I do need to read a lot more about the salt water thing.

House of Laughter said:
Wingo, no offense, but if you're worrying about the setting of a heater after buying snd setting up a complete setup from another reefer, you have alot more reading to do!

Temperature: between 75? and 83? F and constant - Should not move more than two degrees in one day - best at 78-79 degrees for a mixed reef

House

I know. I am new though so please excuse me and that's exactly why I am here hehe:p

The setup I got are mostly EQ. The live stock are mostly dead before I bought them so I do not worry about them too much except for one little swimming baby fish which die during transportation.

I do like the sea urchin which is loaming around too. It seems as if it can make the spine rigid or not at will :shocked1: -have to study more carefully. I always presume they either always hard or always soft. Incredible.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks. I just have to jump on the purhcase-the deal is sweet n the seller's pushing

masterswimmer said:
I agree with house on the reading and researching. I'm hoping you don't have any livestock in there yet and are just cycling the tank. ASK QUESTIONS and read. There are a ton of experienced reefers on this board that are eager to offer assistance and guidance. No question is dumb. Ask away.

Russ

I do have couple dying corals from the seller. I am scrapping the seller's suggestion in continuing with his old setup/settings. I am putting whatever looks like surving into the temp. tank that I have. Then completely cook the tank and go bare bottom and cycle it ASAP.

Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
WingoAgency said:
I do have couple dying corals from the seller. I am scrapping the seller's suggestion in continuing with his old setup/settings. I am putting whatever looks like surving into the temp. tank that I have. Then completely cook the tank and go bare bottom and cycle it ASAP.

Couple things before you make the move to BB;
1. Make sure you have the right equipment to go that route or it simply won't work.
2. I think you mean cooking the rocks, not cooking the tank :D.
3. By equipment I mean flow(powerheads, streams) and skimmer(Really big)
4. What kind of corals is this tank going to be for?

-Kris

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
WingoAgency said:
Then completely cook the tank and go bare bottom and cycle it ASAP.

Sigh...even beginners want to go barebottom?!? It's just a testament to the affect veterans have on beginners, extoling the benefits of BB without further explaining the additional costs and required equipment required to successfully do so.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
A few things to clear

Deanos said:
Sigh...even beginners want to go barebottom?!? It's just a testament to the affect veterans have on beginners, extoling the benefits of BB without further explaining the additional costs and required equipment required to successfully do so.

Advise taken.

To clear couple issues:

I really mean cooking the tank-the tank looks disgusting to me the way it was. I hope Tony share the same view(If not, correct me right way so that I stop scrapping off all the stuff attached to the glass.)

I don't want to cook the rock-since I saw coraline aglae growing there and seems will continue to do OK in the new water

By going BB, I actually mean going BB in the display area. I will compensate the sand bed in the sump. I have couple tanks laying around in my house which I will make a DIY version of it. This is the very first time I setup a tank mainly in a display manner. All my tanks are EXTREMELY lowtech and base only on DIY eco systems. My fresh water tanks run without any lighting until I join this forum and got good deals(even free stuff) from you good guys. Even low tech, I still grew sufficent plants to trade for fish from other aquarists. I have half of my 51 cichlids in the 55g tanks traded from plants I grew in a non-lited 10G tank.

I have not decided what to put in the tank yet. I just basically trying to see what I can DIY in salt water tank-reefing, raising fish or oddly enough just to grow green plants instead of corals. By seeing the tank more, touching the salt water more(I know it's forbidden), and may just looking at it more hope to get the "feel" first. In the FW world, any tank come to me, I can come up 2 zillion ideas because I believed I possessed the "feel." Does it sound mystical-don't worry, I am not a (true/false) messenger from GOD :joke: :joke: I think I just have to look more gallery of all you guys beofore I know what to do next.

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I think you need to ask yourself what are you trying to keep in the tank. Are you going to do just fish, mixed reef, sps, etc.

Once you have any idea of what you're trying to accomplish then you can start acquiring the necessary equipment. Just don't shoot from the hip. Have a plan. And know why you are choosing one type of set-up over another. Just don't go with a set-up because everyone else is doing it (ie barebottom).

I think you have some more reading to do...
We all just want you to be successful at this. Just my $0.02.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Will coral relocate themselves?

I am seeing the corals which are in my sump/fuge dislocating themselves from the plants I grow there and flow to the top.

Is this a mechanism they use to move away from adverse environment?

I have disconnect the water to it since last night so the water in there is cold and of course no movement of water.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hmm so what is polyps?

masterswimmer said:
Corals will not relocate themselves. They will just suffer, not thrive, possibly wither away and die. Invertebrates will (anemones) if they don't like the current conditions.

master

The yellow polyps(I believe they are), that originally attached to the green plants in a sump/fuge that I recently bought, float to the top of the water bottoms up. and I can see the stem keep on moving. Note: there is no current in the sump/fuge thing. So I thought they want to move to another place. I pick them up and put into another bucket where I have a heater. They immediately attached themselve to the wall of the bucket, live rock ....

So are these anemones?

Haha I found out I mistakened them as polyps. They are really aiptasia anemones. Please excuse me-I am only a newbie and probably a naive one.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Tony you got to read this.

The corals in my bucket are opeing up!!! Remember how urgly they look when we were at the seller's place? Incredible-I still have not put them into the tank yet-they are still in the transportaion buckets except that I added somewhat 20% new water! I think the seller's sand bed is the thing that hinder the corals' growth! So I am dumping his sand for sure!

I wish I had a camera to show you since you have seen the previous stage they are in.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea wingo wen we picked up that tank what did i say to u... that sand is disgusting. lolz.. the water was yellow in those buckets.. lolz.. if you had put my water in those buckets it wouldnt look like there was anything in them lolz.. watever u do keep those corals temp water at, atleast 79-80 and give them some light.. i would hook up that pc light and sit it ontop of the bucket.. also that water needs to be moved with a powerhead or something.. so it dont stagnate.. so let us no how u are doing with the tank and everything..

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I did hook up the light that's how I see them opening up.

I was busy working on other things so I did not finish the stand. I will "COOK" the tank tomorrow night and treat the whole thing like a new tank. I am busy again in the morning.

Question: If the power head for somewhat 400GPH, would it be too high for my 10G bucket?

Oh I cannot find the founder anywhere. There is supposed to have a founder.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: