jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
This makes an SPS tank pretty much idiot proof ;)
DSCN1791.JPG

Seriously I would suggest searching RC for threads by user JBNY

"lets talk about water quality"
"lets talk about flow"
"lets talk about lighting"

All good reads :)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
alistair said:
Can anyone suggest an Idiot Guide to SPS?

Maintaining SPS is generally an advanced reefing subject; "idiots" as you put it, need not apply. :shhh:

However, this site is currently compiling a marine aquarist's FAQ, which very well may include a beginner's intro to SPS.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
eric boremans book is pretty good I also have sprungs book( not bad but kind of incomplete) I dont think any book is complete as far a Identification.

recently watching a show about reef and the equator and they touched on cross breeding between corals.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
alistair said:
Thanks Frogman,
What I need to know is,.... the difference beteween a digi, monti, acro etc.?

Montipora & Acropora are 2 types of coral genus. Each is then divided into species. M. digitata, M. danae, A. tortuosa & A. valida are all species level identifications.

As NYPDfrogman mentioned, Borneman's book goes into great detail about the taxonomy of corals.
81208747.jpg

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Dean,

You got anything that talks about how the zooxanthellae are incorporated into the coral. Kinda like that last one with pictures showing the layers. I'm specifically looking to learn more about how the pigments of the coral and zoox interact and also how the coral controls the zoox. Thanks.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
kimoyo said:
Dean,

You got anything that talks about how the zooxanthellae are incorporated into the coral. Kinda like that last one with pictures showing the layers. I'm specifically looking to learn more about how the pigments of the coral and zoox interact and also how the coral controls the zoox. Thanks.

Not sure if these are what you're looking for, but they're a good read nonetheless:

Advanced Aquarist

Wetwebmedia

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: