Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All:

Have been reading your threads for few days now and I am deciding to enter this exciting hobby. Have not purchased any systems, so have no info to share on that end. (sorry)

Right now I want to learn and read as much as possible about reefing, so when I so set it up I do it the right way!!

I have also visited the "All-Aquatics" site...has anyone ever purchased from them? How was the experience?

Was looking at the "32 gal M-Tank"...any experienced reefer have thoughts? Was thinking of starting small...don't think I am ready to hang with the bigg-doggs (100 gal plus). :knockedou

As I stated earlier all advice is welcome...thank you

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have a 29 and outgrew it really fast. If you wanna stay small but not too small like a 32 you could go with a 40 breeder or a 46 bow or even a 55 gal tank. Just go slow and read/research as much as you can before you buy something.

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Hey Chief, Thanks for the encouragement...any tips on where I can get reef equipment deals....for later (ie tanks, sumps, filters, PS, etc)

Thanks again....hope to hear more advice for a newbee!!

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Your best best is to post on here when you are looking for something. Im sure plenty of people have tanks/pumps/etc just sitting around collecting dust.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
welcome to manhattan reefs.. yea as hitsnorth said post what you are looking for in the want to buy thread and ull pretty much get alot of the things you are looking for from fellow reefers.. tell us what your intentions or plans are on this tank.. what exactly are you looking to have..

live rock with fish
live rock with fish and corals(softies)

is this ur 1st marine tank by the way..

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me or any of the other guys here were always willing to help...

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, and thank you for the warm welcome to the site. Hey Jimbo!!

This will not be my first marine tank...I have a tank a few years back...Fish, LS, LR (ran for about 1.5 year)...Sadly I had what our friend "House" coined a "Jonestown" experiment:( I really can't talk about it...too many painful memories..It took me soo long to forget!

Anyway, I was in the process or moving and starting a family so gave up the tank.......FASTFORWARD Settled down in NJ and 3 kids later...I am READY to get my feet wet. :lol:

Would love to set up a 55-90 gal, DSB, Fish, LS, LR, SPS. I have high hopes!!
Unfortunely, my skills are limited and I have much to learn about sumps and reefing....I am hoping to learn from MR..."I'm an excellent learner, excellent"

Thanks

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
MB,

First off, that avitar rocks :)

Secondly, since you and I first started, the hobby has changed dramtically and methods are better than ever as well as equipment. SO much to learn Jedi knight . . .

Here is a pic of your first marine tank with the hood I made for ya - you see that long white tentacle, remeber him, mmmwwwwaaahhhha hhhaaaa, spiny blue lobster = no more fish - sorry bro, had to do that - we all have had our share of Fish-a-cide :-(

Hang here for awhile, and shcek out the rest of the discussions, there is a ton of good stuff. Pseudo (MODERATOR) frequents the new reef forum and has tons of experience - he was the first guy to offer me free stuff, I'll never forget it.

Enjoy, kick back and soak in the glory of MR.

House

Attachments

• 55 Gal DIY_2.jpg
    55 Gal DIY_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 147

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Mr.Blik You'll be hearing a lot from me as well on this site. If I could offer you one great piece of advice it would be to get a HUGE GIANT skimmer, or at least a top quality one :) I will tell you this several times probably even in off topic threads :D

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
another newbie chimes in

i joined about month ago. first time ever with marine.

my advice is dont be cheap. watch out for deals. if you buy used, make sure u have recourse to seller either for refund or for advice. i've screwed about 34.5 times already and had to start over after first week. what a mess. as billy joel once said....get it the rite the first time

these guys (meant generically ladies) are extreeeeeeemely helpful. little bit more of an edge to them than aquariacentral, but more fun also.

advice, gear, live stuff, photos, contacts, you name it...they'll hook ya up

plus, the site is addictive just as a place to hang, read and giggle

chase

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
heh heh, thanks guys, it's all part of our evil plan :sgrin:

jk, we try not to take things to seriously, most of know each other, which tends to make the posts more personal as compared to RC. plus you can say sh!t here, lol.

my advice is read as much as you can take. it's hard online to wade through all the threads, I think we might have some good book marks for people starting out, I'll have to check on that.

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone...I must say the I agree with most of you that this site is addictive...I find myseld logging in several time a day to read, learn and have a laugh.

Jhale....thanks for the advice...I like the idea of bookmarks. I want to learn more about reefing, setting up the system and want to get more of the lingo down.

This site Rocks!!

ps...any other MR members out in Bergen County NJ..I am only few min from Hackensack.:knockedou

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Blik,

I don't think there is any ratio persay, especially since most, if not all, skimmer companies are inaccurate with the tank size thier skimmer can support.

That in mind, I typically try to get a skimmer that will manage twice my tank volume unless the product has a good reputation - I have the VS3-24 from this link http://www.lifereef.com/ - click on skimmer and go down to the VS3 - note is says it will support a 250 (my total water column is 245). Once thing good about Lifreef is that they rate their skimmers under typical to moderate stocking.

HTH
House

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info...still have to come over and check out that tank. I will go and take a look at that website...please let me know if there are any other sites on web with good product information.

I am itching for a tank....really really badly!! :smokin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: