chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
About to purchase RO/DI on ebay. One that seems a favorite of this site now comes with a faucet and a pressurized tank. Any of you use the tank or faucet? And for what?

Seems kind of a waste just from a shipping point.

What do you guys do about water temps? My current RO (only) system really dislikes my basic tap water cuz its so cold. Output is around 8:1 (even with a restrictor) unless i use a mix of hot and cold. And that becomes a problem because hot water supposedly carries higher levels of waste from the water heater. So my TDS readings were slightly higher.

And I'm thinking that if water temp is key, then its useless for me to tap directly into water pipes.

Thanks

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
tank and faucet are not needed for the reef tank. Waste of space. Let the RODI empty in a bucket. Close with lid.

Mix salt, add heater and a pump for circulation.

HTH,
Herman

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea def... thats what i do. i hook it up directly to the faucet with the adapter and then let it go into the bucket.. i put the waste tube right into the drain.. i dont even use the tank they give u its only like 3 gallons anyways.. good luck

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thanks herman..didnt think those things were of much use.

i've been making water the last couple of weeks with a "barely used" RO only system that i picked up from an MR member. but its a bit of a tempermental kent marine device and the effort to patch it up and add the DI portion just isnt worth it given the price of a new system on ebay. so thats where i'm headed.

my next issue now is with the poor output with cold water. given the need for warm water, i dont think it makes sense to tap into the water line. i'm better off hooking to the faucet and using a mix of hot/cold water. was curious if others had this issue and if so, how they dealt with it.

i'd love to get the water production process out of the front hallway and into the basement, but that puts me back to the cold water problem..at least in winter.

steve

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
you wouldnt want to be using hot water with a rodi unit... there are harsh metals and i forget wat other toxins that can destroy your membrane and other filters... i only use cold water for my rodi unit and then heat with a aquarium heater and move the water with a powerhead.. just to let ya no....

anthony

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
but when you use plain cold water, do you get reasonable production?

it drives me crazy to think that i need 9 gallons of cold water to make 1 gallon of clean water. i have a restrictor on the line but it really doesnt help much when the water is winter cold

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
its funny but i make 5 gallons in like 3 hours.. i think a 5:1 ratio.. not incredibly bad but u def. dont want to use hot water... its supposed to be bad.. just my .02c from things ive read on here...

and i dont have a restictor.

goodluck

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I LOVE my tank and fawcet. I don't have to worry about overfilling a bucket, I have RO water for drinking and cooking and I always have at least 2.5 gallons of RO water ready in a pinch. Not to mention that I dont have to have a bucket out all the time. My tank sits under my sink...

-Alfred

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
its funny but i make 5 gallons in like 3 hours.. i think a 5:1 ratio.. not incredibly bad but u def. dont want to use hot water... its supposed to be bad.. just my .02c from things ive read on here...

and i dont have a restictor.

goodluck

You don't have a restrictor and you are running 5:1 ratio? You must have a ultra super efficient RO system, you should market this technology to DOW or 3M.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i too have mine hooked up to the faucet in the laundry room.
i add a bit of hot water on with the cold as it works best when the water is not so cold.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i use a booster pump to keep the pressure up (50-60).
btw, where should the pump be? i currently have it after my sediment and before my carbon. should i move it to be between the carbon and the membrane?

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Albert: I started using a mix of hot and cold water after reading your post and dramatically increased my production. I used to get 2 gallons per hour on a 75gpd system with running cold tap. Now I'm close to 3 gallons per hour.

I'm getting an output close to the 75gpd Aqua Safe Unit I have.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
cali_reef said:
You don't have a restrictor and you are running 5:1 ratio? You must have a ultra super efficient RO system, you should market this technology to DOW or 3M.

i juiced up the water pressure underneath the sink just a little bit and also my rodi unit still has that new car smell lolz as deanos said....

correction it was for every 1 gallon of rodi its about 3-5 gallons waste

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
ECFENCING said:
Albert: I started using a mix of hot and cold water after reading your post and dramatically increased my production. I used to get 2 gallons per hour on a 75gpd system with running cold tap. Now I'm close to 3 gallons per hour.
cool, that's a 50% increase!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: