Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
OK....Newbie question.
How do you do a dip properly?
I usually use Lugols and drop about 10 drops in a small 6x6x4 plastic container where I put the corals...I leave it in there for 10 mins.
I know there are different dip methods (FW, etc) ...
Does anyone care to enlighten me on what they are and how they should be properly don? Thanks

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I keep a dip jar stored in my fish closet :). Fresh saltwater, 50x dosage of Interceptor, and 20x dosage of flatworm exit. I dip only my SPS for about 15mins before putting it in my tank.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
A jar is good idea....
Rich what do you mean by50x and 20x....the suggested dosage?
Also, is it possible for the dip to go bad (contaminated, diluted)?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Well it's hard to say - in what context do you mean dipping?

Dipping for health, dipping for parasites? Nudi's? flatworms? etc.

I dip all my SPS in interceptor like Jackson and then in a Melafix dip, and then in a Seachem Reef Dip (which is just a glorified lugols bath).

I do the Melafix for all softies from someone I don't know.

Does that help? More info on what you're looking for will be helpful.

House

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I was thinking about dipping in general so I would have to say I'm concerned with dipping before adding to the tank and dipping for health. I want to know what amt of each medicine to put in a 6x6x4 (roughly .6 gallon filled to the brim but about .4 gallon usually filled I would say) container. I dont know if my 10 drops of lugol is too diluted or too concentrated. I have Melafix for FW and didnt know it was used for dipping too. Whats the ratio of these solutions to the saltwater (mg per gallons, etc) of your dip?
I'm not looking for a scientific answer...just want to know how exactly you guys do it so I can maybe use the same tecnique.

What I would do in the past when I got a new addition was that I use some tank water, put it in a container, add some lugols and immerge the frag for 15 mins. Then I would discard the water. But Rich keeps a jar that he reuses, I presume. So thats something I learn: the dip can be resuable. Just want to clarify. Thanks

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
froggiebunbun said:
A jar is good idea....
Rich what do you mean by50x and 20x....the suggested dosage?
Also, is it possible for the dip to go bad (contaminated, diluted)?

Yes 20x and 50x suggested dosage. It probably could go bad but I'm not really worried. If the dip starts to stink a little I'll toss it and make more :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: