Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
eaglek06 is a user on ebay. they make custom sumps so ask them if they can make you a tank that fits exaxtly in the dimentions you have so you can have the biggest tank possible to fit in the stand
Jkedra - i think adding a 3rd baffle is a good idea. if will force any bubbles that might make it past, back to surface again. I know thats how ive always done it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
a 20g high this will leave more room for power outage, a little fyi, having a power block under the tank isnt a good idea especially if it isnt on a gfci. and seeing there is no loop in wire's it will possibly lead to a real bad situation, if not getting a gfci then get a power supply with a breaker in it, hd sells them for $13

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
a 20g high this will leave more room for power outage, a little fyi, having a power block under the tank isnt a good idea especially if it isnt on a gfci. and seeing there is no loop in wire's it will possibly lead to a real bad situation, if not getting a gfci then get a power supply with a breaker in it, hd sells them for $13

Alright, the power supply with a breaker is a good point...and I had in mind these clips that hold the power strip to a surface...so the power strip will be behind the sump.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yeah I saw that, I'll just stick to the 10 gallon and the 3 baffles like Arati suggested...And I'll use the 500 gph pump with a ball valve.

If you use the 500 GPH pump you are only going to have 310 GPH flow at 3' of head height and the more piping you add the lower your GPH is going to be and that if it's a straight run without any 90 degree couplings, I believe you have to add 1' of head height for every 90 degree coupling. You should figure out your piping 1st then calculate the footage and 90's used then determine what size pump to use. 400-500 GPH of flow through the sump is not too little or too much. Don't forget the overflow should have a much higher GPH rating than your return pump especially if it is a HOB unit because the HOB's never provide the GPH advertised and if the overflow is too small you can risk overflowing your DT if your sump calculations are off. IMO a 10 gallon is way too small, you should try to shoehorn the biggest sump you can in there.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you use the 500 GPH pump you are only going to have 310 GPH flow at 3' of head height and the more piping you add the lower your GPH is going to be and that if it's a straight run without any 90 degree couplings, I believe you have to add 1' of head height for every 90 degree coupling. You should figure out your piping 1st then calculate the footage and 90's used then determine what size pump to use. 400-500 GPH of flow through the sump is not too little or too much. Don't forget the overflow should have a much higher GPH rating than your return pump especially if it is a HOB unit because the HOB's never provide the GPH advertised and if the overflow is too small you can risk overflowing your DT if your sump calculations are off. IMO a 10 gallon is way too small, you should try to shoehorn the biggest sump you can in there.

Yeah I'm going to start my plans on PVC After I get my pump...I have to see the measurements of the pump's intake and return sections so I can fit the PVC to it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: