Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i was using an led tester to test individual leds. the tester is 4 volts. the same that the driver is supposed to put out for each one
Thanks for the input Wingo =0)

Also Anthony, you need to run 3-4+ LED's at a time for you to test the LED's out. With just one hooked up to the driver you will blow the LED out, don't know if your testing your single LED's or your LED sequence. And if I read correctly, you were testing them out by rubbing a wire on one of the contact points. Make sure they are properly connected or you can cause a short on the LED and burn one out.

As long as your properly supplying the correct power to the driver using a separate power supply, and have a Dimmer (POT) thats factored into your voltage, your chain of 10-12 LED's should light up using the dimmable driver. Start the dimmer with the settings on low and slowly crank it up. Sometimes they will just pop on a quarter turn out from low.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea i heard about that too. i think because inside the driver is like a computer so it turns on full power really quick then reads the dimmer telling it to dim in like half a second so it dims. i heard of people leaving the drivers constantly powered and just dimming it down all the way for the night and others that put a resistor in between the lights and the driver or something to prevent that initial flicker. but with mine they just go really bright and then turn off when i test the row of 12. i think i might have to set it but also the driver will go to its full potential when i disconnect the dimmer right?
I'm not sure if anybody can help you with this issue, many people has the same problem with those drivers even me. When you gonna cut off the power completely after couple seconds LEDs gonna blink once.
Some guys using this as a moon light you can even find some info about that on Reef Central.
I think the only option is to use timer and turn off the power for the night time but this blink was bothering me that's why I'm also using this as a moon light...
I guess is something about the ground but I never checked this.

Regards,
mark

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
yea i heard about that too. i think because inside the driver is like a computer so it turns on full power really quick then reads the dimmer telling it to dim in like half a second so it dims. i heard of people leaving the drivers constantly powered and just dimming it down all the way for the night and others that put a resistor in between the lights and the driver or something to prevent that initial flicker. but with mine they just go really bright and then turn off when i test the row of 12. i think i might have to set it but also the driver will go to its full potential when i disconnect the dimmer right?

Anthony tell me, what you using to ramp your drivers all way up? Did you check the voltage on your controller whatever it is? You don't suppose to run your drivers over 10v you know about that, right? What gonna happen if you will hook up 1,5v AA battery to your driver?
You can try to adjust drivers it's simple and even you suppose to do that to make sure everything gonna work properly and extend your LEDs life if you don't know how to do this check rapidled.com he have great video.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ohh i completely forgot to post that i got everything working i took apart the drivers and adjusted the voltage first then i had to rewire it so the meter would go in series with the lights and then i adjusted the amperage. and i figures out why i couldn't get them to light. i thought it would just work regularly like it says it should but i had to have the dimmer connected which i am using the reefkeeper to dim. for some reason i need to have it connected or the drivers turn off.
Anthony tell me, what you using to ramp your drivers all way up? Did you check the voltage on your controller whatever it is? You don't suppose to run your drivers over 10v you know about that, right? What gonna happen if you will hook up 1,5v AA battery to your driver?
You can try to adjust drivers it's simple and even you suppose to do that to make sure everything gonna work properly and extend your LEDs life if you don't know how to do this check rapidled.com he have great video.

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Good to hear that everything is cool and you can enjoy your light.
Yea I replaced already about 10 LEDs exact same think happen to my LEDs or even some of them burns out completely and whole row was blank... but I'm using luxeon LEDs and those are probably cheaper than Cree that's why.
Anyway GL with your new toy, enjoy !

Regards
mark

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
yep except i had one defective led which im sending back monday. its not shorted or burnt out because the whole row works in series so the electricity is flowing through it but it just doesn't light. but other then that everything working good.

WOW, you are a lucky guy to have a LED defective. I have sold tens of thousand LEDs and never did I get one DOA.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
oh about the heatsink. after i put the thermal paste should i solder the heatisnk down on all 4 sides or put an L bracket on the sides and screw it because its hard to screw in between the fins.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: