Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok i know about the whole nitrogen cycle and everything and that the end product is nitrates but there are ways to grow bacteria that eat up nitrates and make it into nitrogen gas which pops at the top and gets out of the tank but is there any natural bacteria that gets rid of phosphates? im worried because im rebuilding my system and im about to put high powered leds on it so i dont wanna wake up and look at a green tank because thats what happened to me the first time i set it up but after time i got rid of everything using gfo and stuff. also what are the best phosphate removers i hear like rowaphos of just plain gfo from bulk reef supply. but i also hear of these bio pellet thing. what does that stuff do?

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well of course you can use phosban in a reactor, but the subject of the thread was is there any bacteria that will help get rid of it. Zeovit and Biopellets both culture and grow a strain of bacteria that relies on a combination of Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphorus to grow and multiply.

BTW, mods...I noticed the tags on the bottom of the thread. Why is Zeovit not a tag on MR?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i didn't put it in the tag because i never even heard of it but ill add it now.
Well of course you can use phosban in a reactor, but the subject of the thread was is there any bacteria that will help get rid of it. Zeovit and Biopellets both culture and grow a strain of bacteria that relies on a combination of Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphorus to grow and multiply.

BTW, mods...I noticed the tags on the bottom of the thread. Why is Zeovit not a tag on MR?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
interest in either zeovit or biopellets if i have my phosphate problem again. which would you recommend and since this stuff cultures bacteria does it need to be taken out and replaced every so often or does the bacteria consume and or something and i just add some when it gets low. i have a phosban reactor with chemi pure in it but ill take that stuff out to add one of these products.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

I have seen the zeo and bio threads and yes they seem to work but still some don't believe they work. Like LED's in my eyes they are not proven. Sometimes the old fashioned way is better. Water changes and Phosban in a reactor are the proven ways to attack these problems.

As far as tags go, ANYONE can add tags to the site, not just the mods.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea i think im going to stick with posban then. but what you said about the leds. they dont work? because i hope i didnt just waste almost $2,000. i didnt try them yet but it scared me when you said they are not proven to work.
I have seen the zeo and bio threads and yes they seem to work but still some don't believe they work. Like LED's in my eyes they are not proven. Sometimes the old fashioned way is better. Water changes and Phosban in a reactor are the proven ways to attack these problems.

As far as tags go, ANYONE can add tags to the site, not just the mods.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
LEDs r the future of reef keeping as far as lighting it was costing me hundreds of $ in electric to run just one 2 x 250 mh fixture I just got LEDs and everything looks great and growth seems good well see in 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
yea i think im going to stick with posban then. but what you said about the leds. they dont work? because i hope i didnt just waste almost $2,000. i didnt try them yet but it scared me when you said they are not proven to work.

With all the bacterial products on the market today its tough deciding what works and doesn't work. All the products mentioned have a good following. I used MB7 with great results.

There are several members tanks on here that are using LEDS with success I might add, so don't be alarmed just see yourself as a pioneer.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
If you can't test for it don't add it.

everyone makes some kind of snake-oil for a reef. truth is you dont need anything more then new saltwater, mag/calc/alk to ever go into a reef.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
For a tank as immature as yours going zeovit or biopellets isn't really worth it financially for what your going to get out of it for your tank. You don't have enough localized bacteria ( <~~~ i don't know what that really means but it sounded right) strains that are settled enough in your tank to be worth the $$ your going to spend getting it going without adding a crapload of new bacterial strains to your tank. Big tank stability issues can happen. After a year and a bunch of new frags from other systems I would say yes, go for it, but things like that take time.

Also, as much as I loved my zeo type system before its no way "healthy" for a tank to be run in the traditional sense. People that are running zeo are usually featured because it takes alot of time and patience to run a zeo tank and that usually transfers into everything else in their tank, from maintenance to equipment and setup. If you take out the zeo factor from their tanks and keep the meticulousness on husbandry they would still be featured, the coral color is a bonus of the zeo system =P

That scares me when you say things like that. If im going to spend 2 grand on something, even 200$, im going to know everything about what im spending my money on. For 2k$ im going to be a close to an expert as possible on it. Learn to fully research things for the tank Anthony. It feels like your not doing that with anything you do and thats part of the problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: