furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need to stock up on a bunch of small items to get me started but was wondering where everyone goes for their reef needs? So far the best prices i found were on petsolutions.com, ideally i'd wanna buy locally but paying a huge markup doesnt make sense (i.e. when i called around to stores about an item, some had it for as much as 2x the price online). Is there a good lfs that strikes a middle ground in terms of pricing around the nyc/nj area? When im more vested in the hobby i wont mind spending more but right now im testig the waters so like to keep cost in mind..

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
North jersey? Perfct. Hit up russ at salt water critters. He lives in Chester. Within the past 2-3 months, thts the only place I go. Best prices, fun to hang out with and very honest.

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks guys! I'm gonna try to hit up Red Sand today, i saw the banner for saltwatercritters but the ride is a bit long, maybe on the weekend.

With any luck ill have some rock, sand, and water to finally get this thing started this weekend!

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Checked out Red Sand in Dunellin: Very nice owner, lots of livestock and frags. Not much drygoods but got a bag of sand that i needed for only about $5 more than online.
Also sells his own circulated 'live' saltwater from his tanks for $1/gallon.

Also went to Reef Encounters: Very helpful, and huge supply of dry goods. Also fair prices and great resource for hard to find items. Livestock prices were slightly higher than Red Sand.

I'd recommend both!

George

The only good crab:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I would personally like to recommend two MR vendors:

1. Tito of Gotham Aquatics

2. Alan of Reefs Creation

They are THE BEST! Check with them before you buy anything (livestock, dry goods, whatever) anywhere else.

George
--

BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Yeah, it's amazing the difference in pricing. For my Fluval 305 canister filter (as an example) Bob's in Brooklyn (sorry Bob, just reporting facts) was charging around $350. Down the street at Petland Discounts, $250. Brand new online from ebay, $100.

LFS' seem like a good place to check things out, but online is the way to go. I used to think it was better to buy livestock at LFS. Then I saw boxes full of fish at my lfs from the same place I was debating getting them from online. Why have them shipped to the store, get acclimated, then take em out and bring them home, and repeat the process? Plus the selection online is superior. Also the employees at lfs are hit and miss. The guy at Petsmart (which I like to get supplies at) at Union Square said the $1/g sale was going on till the end of february (7 weeks later from that day), 5 days later the sale was over, and when I asked why he told me that, he obviously had no idea what I was talking about. So there is a unacountability factor at some lfs'.

I will say that MR vendors seem to have comparable cheap prices for livestock to the online dealers, and of course the customer service/help is usually much better.

My advice, check the LFS for new gear, then buy it online (ebay first).

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Internet prices hands down cannot be beat...but after calling up a bunch of shops and researching the local offerings, there are some LFS around here that come very very close.
Now that i know that, i'm going to try to stick locally. Also craigslist can be your best friend :)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
To be honest I like taking care of the people who support the site. The registered vendors and sponsors here are awesome. I have loyalty to my LFS as well he is a good guy. I steer clear of Stealth Vendors here who take away from our site and not care about anything but themselves and the almighty dollar because they are too cheap to apply for a forum.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: