NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
few questions ? what footprint do you have to fit a skimmer ? is the tank stocked ? lps ? sps height you have to fit a skimmer, if you can answer these i can help with a few options

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Well I have 12 fishes in the tank in which 4 of them are medium sized and the rest are small
I have no Sps or lsp so far but will add some in the future . The PS has to be 25 in or less

and the tank has about 140lbs of live rock.. If that helps a little bit more

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I mean I don't want an over the top quality PS but a nice one that will keep my nitrates down

I don't know how much all this stuff cost but I can find something bet. $120-$200 I guess
right?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ill be picking this up from russ at saltwater critters this weekend. he highly recommends this skimmer

are they using this skimmer ? easy to reccomend what your selling. as alot of companies do. promote what they sell.
havent used one myself buy know a few people that are and have had convo's with mojo on rc on this skimmer, he likes it but for the new cost alot of skimmers in that range

bry17 really un-less you go the used route there arent any decent skimmers that are new in that price range, how many of the medium fish will become larger fish ? tangs ? angels ect. if you bumped it up to the $300 range there are alot of good skimmers, my personal favorite company for the money is vertex.the in180 gen 3 would be a nice fit it is 24" tall but only needs 1/4 for removal. solid built, solid performer, issue's with gen 1 pumps have been taken care of and they are on gen 3 now, i personally use a in100 gen 3 but i upgraded pumps
swc makes a decent skimmer as well as the nac's. octopus's newer line is really nice as well, and dont go by factory rated spec's

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I recommend the nac, the swc, or the exact one bilbo recommended.

And Rick, although you are correct about the vendors saying things are good just for the sale, which slot of places and lfs do and kind of annoying because you don't know who to trust. But im sure you know too if you done business with him,but russ is not like that. Ill always take russ word. He has plenty of other skimmers for sale, some more expensive too, but for a 90 gallon, that's the ONLY skimmer he recommended to me. He is a very honest guy. I go to his place all the time, and he will tell me flat out if it's crap or not. And if he says I'll guarantee you will be more then satisfied.. Then I guarantee...I was.
For example, those new current USA lunar led strips. Russ showed me these. They look pathetic compared to the stunner strips. It's 4 very small square LEDs on a foot long strip. He told me about them twice, and I did not buy them because i did not think they would look that nice. I finally purchased one. Let me tell you, i went back and bought another...and then went back and bought one more. They were the very best led strips I've ever owned. He was right, and i should have listened to him in the first place...he just knows better. Thats why most people will take his word when it comes to a product...

From what ive read, the big difference ive noticed between the bubble Magnus nacs and the swc are...well...nothing. the run exactly the same and both amazing buys. But the difference I noticed with reef octopus super skimmer series and the other two, swc and nacs, is that the nacs and swc pull out a thicker skin mate, but the reef octopus super skimmer pulls out much much quicker. Not AS thick, but still disgusting. I personally have a nac 7. I have it connected to a 2 gallon container. To fill the two gallons of skin mate would take 2 or 3 weeks. A reef octopus would do it in about 1-2 weeks. Granted it all depends on bio load, but still, it's personal preference. Do you want it to be a thicker skin mate, or a quicker, yet a little more watered down skin mate? Thats your choice. But you have made the right choice so far and wait and save some more money. Anyone will tell you NOT to cheap out on your skimmer. Save the money and get your price range up to 250-350 and you options will be much better and much more efficient.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ryan it wasnt directed at russ specifically. or any vendor in particular. for me at $270 the vertex in180 is a muchhhhhhhhhh better skimmer then the swc 160, will habdle more, built better, and so forth. one of the things over the years ive noticed with skimmers and the companies is using same pump and having different ratings. same air pull and so forth but one is rated for 50 to 100 gallons more ? when i switched pumps out on my in100 which factory pump was i do believe 420 lpm and i knew that wasnt really enough for the body or what the body could handle, knew it was more around 600-700 lpm and i got a pump that pulls around 650, { next investment is a dwyer meter } real differance in a swc and a nac is the build, both are flimsy to me but the nac i could probably squeeze and break and the swc is a little stronger built, not that i need one built like a tank but i dont want to have to worry is i do drop it, also have a tunze 9006 coming to play around with. density of skimmate depends also on how you have it dialed, i can get mine to make a gallon in a couple days of tea colored or 9 days of black mud

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The SWC atman pulls more air than the Bubble Magus equivalent.

For example the SWC 160 pulls 650lph and the nac7 pulls about 500.

Thickness/weight of the acrylic doesnt really impress me. If it skims and I can manage to not break it while cleaning, that's all I care about.

Vertex footprints are too large, so they are off the table. And the sicce is a turn-off.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree I very close to buying one for my 65g.

Best specs of any other sub $200 I have seen.

Another note on your in180 vs SWC 160 comparison... The in180 is MUCH larger. The in100 won't fit in my sump but the 160 cone would fit nicely.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: