Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There is nothing quick in this hobby that is worth while.
I would stay away from the live sand also and buy dry sand. Get a cup of sand from a couple matured tanks and get some CURED live rock.
That is the best way to go IMO.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Live rock is more important in cycling than live sand. I also have my doubts about live sand sitting in a bag. The only thing live to begin with was bacteria and how many days will that stay live in a closed bag.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Live rock is more important in cycling than live sand. I also have my doubts about live sand sitting in a bag. The only thing live to begin with was bacteria and how many days will that stay live in a closed bag.

agreed. the ONLY live sand that I think would ever be worth it is Garf Grunge b/c it's in their tanks for basically since they started..they just keep seeding and seeding sand....

But I agree with the cured LR being more important than buying live sand..
without nutrients being pumped into the water...i'm wondering how stuff would even survive in bagged "live" sand.

If your friends are willing to give up sand from their tanks... that's a better look

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
You really can't look at bacteria in a sense of well it needs oxygen or food. Bacteria can lay dormant in certain conditions. Look at bacteria that is put into specimen containers and frozen defrosted for research... frozen again.
Sure you may not have enough bacteria to support life immediately after introduction, but it will be enough to build on, probably within a shorter time frame.

I'm sure no one here has really looked into this, where they took a sample of this sand to a lab just to see if there is bacteria there. However I'm sure you would find some.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: