UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question,

I just installed an Eshopps hang-on Protein Skimmer. I set everything up according to the directions (which were poor). It seems to be operating as it should but the return is producing a lot of micro-bubbles. Is that normal? This is the first time I've ever used a protein skimmer. I'm concerned it will kill the fish i have in there.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Usually micro bubbles happen within the first few days until a nice slime coat covers the inside of the skimmer.

Can you see where the bubbles are coming from?

UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming it is normal for the "break-in" period then?
I just plugged it in for the first time a few hours ago.
The micro bubbles are coming from the output tube with the sponge on it.

I guess my question is will the micro-bubbles harm/disturb the fish?

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I dont think the micro bubbles will hurt the fish, they just suck to look at. If it dosent strop in a couple of days, I would think about rigging something up for the bubble to go thru and dissipate before they hit the water.

UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another skimmer question?

This morning my container cup was almost filled with waist water. What level should the bubbles inside the skimmer be topping off at? should they be overflowing into the container cup? just below the container cup? I set it so the bubbles were coming up the inner-tube of the container cup but not overflowing. What is the ideal level? Like I said, this is the first time I've used a skimmer and the directions that came with it were not very helpful.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This morning my container cup was almost filled with waist water. What level should the bubbles inside the skimmer be topping off at? should they be overflowing into the container cup? just below the container cup? I set it so the bubbles were coming up the inner-tube of the container cup but not overflowing. What is the ideal level? Like I said, this is the first time I've used a skimmer and the directions that came with it were not very helpful.

really depends on your skim preference. I think most of us set ours to pull dry thick skimmate. if your skimmate is watery, try turning it down a little bit so the water level is at the base of the tube coming up to the collection cup. let it come up and produce that thick blackish/brown foam that's straight NASTY! also, skimmers can have TEMPERS! Every time you put your hand in the tank or break the water tension, the skimmer could stop skimming. every time you treat with chemicals, vitamins or additives, it can stop skimming
Don't be alarmed by this, it's normal. Each skimmer has different tolerance to the above.

I've gone through 4 skimmers from HOBS to in sump... and after the break in period, you basically take the time to tune it to how you want it to skim. from there, try to maintain the same water level in your tank/sump via ATO so you can ensure that you're keeping salinity and water level the same.
Also the skimmer won't pull anything but white microbubbles if your tank is clean...

UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for (it to pull dry thick skimmate). So if the foam line (for lack of a better term) is at the base of the container cup will it eventually rise to the top and deposit the skimmate into the container without adjusting the level manually?

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for (it to pull dry thick skimmate). So if the foam line (for lack of a better term) is at the base of the container cup will it eventually rise to the top and deposit the skimmate into the container without adjusting the level manually?

I'd have to look up your skimmer..but if you google your skimmer name and tuning instructions.. you can pull up the info

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: