ReefDriven

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have a 55gal and bought 3 yellow tangs a month ago and they're doing great. I was told by a fellow MR member that my tank was too small. That I should atleast have a 125gal for my new buddies. They are only 2 1/2 in. right now. Figured I would move them to a bigger tank when they get bigger... Is it dangerous to keep them in my tank of 55gal for now???

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
ReefDriven said:
Is it dangerous to keep them in my tank of 55gal for now???

An excerpt from this article, Selecting Healthy & Appropriate Marine Fishes:

"After determining the compatibility of the planned tankmates, the full adult size of the desired fish should be determined. Purchase only fish that can be kept in the display currently owned. In many instances, an aquarist claims that he intends to purchase a bigger tank sometime in the near future and will be housing this larger animal in the relatively small display for only the next six months to two years. Unfortunately, though, life happens. People get laid-off. They get divorced and lose their house. Any number of reasons might derail their planned upgrade. And, because of this, the fish suffer from inadequate space and, in some cases, poor water quality as a result."

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I agree also, when they get bigger you should trade/sell or upgrade to bigger tank. But for the moment as long as the trio aren't fighting and they seem to be happy then no worries, IMHO :)

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
"Unfortunately, though, life happens. People get laid-off. They get divorced and lose their house."

Lol, the comfort of your yellow tangs will indeed be first and foremost on your mind if these things happen.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
thepudge said:
Lol, the comfort of your yellow tangs will indeed be first and foremost on your mind if these things happen.

That's the exact reason I posted that quote. :)

In my 65g, the only fish I'm uncomfortable having now is a 2" Hippo Tang :eek: Given the opportunity again, I wouldn't have bought it. But like many others, I said, "I'll just upgrade!" Let's hope my future situation allows that.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Deanos: I'm in the same situation as you with a hippo tang in a 70. I also have a large YT that I got from Samksy. A 120 is in the works. So far so good but they would have been better off in a 4ft long tank instead of a 3ft long tank.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
ECFENCING said:
Deanos: I'm in the same situation as you with a hippo tang in a 70.

I'm sure there are plenty of reefers like us :grouphug: I feel a whole lot better for having admitted it.

Sounds like an AA meeting..."Hi, my name is Dean, and I have Small-Tank_Large-Tangitis"

ReefDriven

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
hahaha... life didn't really cross my mind. thanks for the advice deanos. when they get a bit bigger and still no tank suitable due to hard times, I'm just going to have to fillet them real nice and treat myself to a tangwich

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Originally posted by Deanos:

I'm sure there are plenty of reefers like us I feel a whole lot better for having admitted it.

Sounds like an AA meeting..."Hi, my name is Dean, and I have Small-Tank_Large-Tangitis"

Funny stuff. LOL:)

Last edited:

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
ReefDriven said:
I have a 55gal and bought 3 yellow tangs a month ago and they're doing great. I was told by a fellow MR member that my tank was too small. That I should atleast have a 125gal for my new buddies. They are only 2 1/2 in. right now. Figured I would move them to a bigger tank when they get bigger... Is it dangerous to keep them in my tank of 55gal for now???

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6976

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: