xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hey guys whats going on as I told some of u guys that I will b gettin my stand custom made so I did. But me n my buddy (BART) stepped it up a level more that we turned the stand into a Custom Stand Wall. So here are some of the pictures I took this morning this is only just the begging. The stand wall isn't finished yet hopefully with in the next 2-3 weeks from now it will b finished completely. I will keep u guys posted up with more updates on the wall stand.

FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED LOL

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
the 2x4's under the dt's are the wrong way, if it's too late you need to support them better. you need uprights on the corners and 2 uprights in the center spaced evenly. if not the 2x4 will sag. the same way you have the 2x4 above the front dt pic.
the screws on the edges will not hold 550 plus pounds.
are their 2x4 cross braces under the plywood?
also the 2x4' that are mounted to the wall are they anchored into beams?

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
the 2x4's under the dt's are the wrong way, if it's too late you need to support them better. you need uprights on the corners and 2 uprights in the center spaced evenly. if not the 2x4 will sag. the same way you have the 2x4 above the front dt pic.
the screws on the edges will not hold 550 plus pounds.
are their 2x4 cross braces under the plywood?
also the 2x4' that are mounted to the wall are they anchored into beams?

+1 to Richie's recommendations. They are excellent.

If you're able to rotate the 2x4's under the display so they are mounted 90 degrees to their present orientation you can probably get away without installing all the vertical supports (one in the center would be fine). However if you can't re-install those two 2x4's then you must install three vertical 2x4's, one at the 12" mark, one at the 24" mark and one at the 36" mark. One against each of the existing four corners should be done too. The same thing needs to be done on both long ends of the stand/wall.

Cross bracing underneath the plywood is highly recommended. If you're able to fix the 2x4's the cross bracing wouldn't be critical.

Anchoring the stand/wall into your existing wall would be advisable as well.

Great evaluation Richie.

Russ

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
All Suggestions Will Be Taking Into Consideration This Just A Ruff Sketch In Other Words Were NOT Finished With The Wall Stand. This Week The Next Step We Will Re Enforce The Wall Stand To And Test Out The Weight Of It By Filling Up The 55G Tank. Once Again Thank You Everyone For The Suggestions Everyone Gave Me.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
All Suggestions Will Be Taking Into Consideration This Just A Ruff Sketch In Other Words Were NOT Finished With The Wall Stand. This Week The Next Step We Will Re Enforce The Wall Stand To And Test Out The Weight Of It By Filling Up The 55G Tank. Once Again Thank You Everyone For The Suggestions Everyone Gave Me.

Even filling the tanks (all of them) and leaving them filled for a week and nothing going bad doesn't mean that it is structurally sound. The entire wall/stand could be fine for a year and then suddenly give way. Structural failures don't all collapse immediately (actually very few do). They normally fail over the course of a period of time.

The recommendations Richie made and I agree with are sound and correct architectural designs of any load bearing wall. Filling it next week is a waste of time.

Please don't pass this recommendation off as antagonistic or just a recommendation from someone who doesn't know anything about construction. I was a builder (GC) and built MANY homes in my day. FYI, none collapsed :biggrin:

Hope this helps...... it truly is meant to.
Russ

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
All VERY good points made by Rich and Russ. Looks nice so far but I personally wouldn't put a drop of water in it as it sits if it was my house. PLEASE don't take offense to these comments. They are meant to stress how important doing what is stated is in this situation.

If your happy with it than test away. I would just make sure you have a LOT of towels and a wet/dry shop vac CLOSE by ;)

bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
gentelmen i to have expirience in construction which include electrical , communications, framing, painting and did study architeture and drafting. no offence taken but the use of and arch has been used for manny years and have stood the test of time this is a 700 no more than 1000 lbs im sure an arch can handle. if u look at ur commercialy made stand especialy one for a 55 gal tank the the stand is not the most reemforced thin out there, all im saying there r many diff ways to make something withstand weight without having to reemforce every 12" there are diff way to reenforce something. that those not mean because it was not done every 12" inches it will callapse in 5 years. i just feel we should not be making people worry and making them affraid by making such statements . i had to say something, im not building a load bearing wall to hold up a house or a garage . no offence to anyone in particular this is not my first project thanks

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: