Tranquil201

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
LED or T5 HO Lighting?

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any info or experience with LED lighting. I have a 90 gallon 48'' Wide tank. I am currently running Coralife PC lighting 4 bulb system with some live rock and fish only. I want to upgrade to T5 HO so I can start moving into corals. I was at my LFS and saw LED setups. My question is do these lights have the power to penetrate 24'' deep. Or better yet does LED produce the same as T5? I was offered a good price on a TEK T5 HO 8 bulb system and just wanted to see if i should wait and get LED or stick with the T5 purchase.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Brandon

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
but the correct leds, and more then likely you saw one of the 120w led pendents, before you buy from the store research as they are all the same units with different company names on them all stemming from china

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
LED's are cutting edge at the moment. One of the reasons for the almost weekly changes in products and manufacturers. And where there is a cutting edge someone is usually bleeding ;)

You can, as Noob has stated keep just about anything under the right combination of T5's. Slightly more expensive to run annually and bulb replacement is a factor but they are easy to maintain and endless possible color combos make for one of the best reef solutions right now. JMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: