chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
so i just got my first skimmer, precision marine hot1+, and with a little help from MR last nite, got it set up.

decided not to run it tho last nite cuz i was low on water and didnt feel like breading out the RO at midnite. got it fired up tonite and now i'm trying to figure out how to adjust the thing. instructions reference adjusting little air hose nozzle (leading to venturi) and blue water valve.

but i cant get a consistent SLOW and steady stream of bubbles. Thought i had it once and then it seemed to start throwing too much liquid into cup and i had to cut it back. and so it went several times.

instructions mention allowing a breakin period....but this is used.

any practical advice on what to expect or how to manage the flow

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the breaking period means you set it slightly lower (as if its not going to produce much foam) instead of it producing alot of foam right aways. the reason being because EVEN YOUR "CLEAN" HANDS IN THE WATER seeds some trace contaminants (oils, saponifiers) that prevent skimmate formation. it mean you basically set it where its slightly producing foam and then be patient for a couple days only then go back to bring it up higher if its not producing enough dry foam.

chasesng said:
so i just got my first skimmer, precision marine hot1+, and with a little help from MR last nite, got it set up.

decided not to run it tho last nite cuz i was low on water and didnt feel like breading out the RO at midnite. got it fired up tonite and now i'm trying to figure out how to adjust the thing. instructions reference adjusting little air hose nozzle (leading to venturi) and blue water valve.

but i cant get a consistent SLOW and steady stream of bubbles. Thought i had it once and then it seemed to start throwing too much liquid into cup and i had to cut it back. and so it went several times.

instructions mention allowing a breakin period....but this is used.

any practical advice on what to expect or how to manage the flow

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
so then its okay for the skimmer to run without bubbles going over the top.

i thought if the bubbles didnt go over the top continually that it mite cause the water in the tube to become excessively dirty or concentrated at which point the return of any of it to the tank might be a major problem.

and "wet skim" vs "dry skim" just means extra water is getting into the collection cup instead of just bubbles..rite? and dry skim is better? is there any benefit to wet skim at certain times?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The bubbles do slowly concentrate the protiens at the top of the riser tube until it creates foam stable enough to rise up the tube and into the cup. Bubbles souldnt be going over the top from the moment you plug it in. It takes time for the collected waste to form a stable foam head that should then rise over the top.
If you posted a picture of the skimmer i'm sure a few people here would be able to give you a basic water level to start with that you can fine tune after a few days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: